Duck almost drowned

If you have a large dog kennel they work great for over night @ruthhope
Oh yes!! I actually have two medium crates [20" x 30" base x22" tall] in my coop as "bedrooms" for my two pekin drakes. One drake was sleeping in a crate as he was being bullied and excluded from the food by my two muscovies. I then got a second pekin drake and he is quite the pugnacious little beast with one of my muscovies, who can quite easily turn the pekin on his back and stand on him]. So a second crate was obtained to stop the new pekin drake from attacking the muscovy. I can't be doing with fighting in the coop and all are now happy with the sleeping arrangements.

I got crates from tractor supply as they were the cheapest. The medium size is meant for small dogs -- 20 to 30 pounds. While they are a few square inches less than the recommended 4sq feet space for ducks, the configuration of my coop limits me to this size and the drakes love their crates -- they toddle on into them on their own in the early evening. The larger crate -- the large size is 36" x 23" and is 25" tall -- gives much more than the recommended floor space for a duck. I would need the larger size to crate my muscovy drakes as they are much larger than the pekins.

Last edited:
You can always seperate drakes in a dog crate in the coop at night. I sometimes do this when introducing new ducks in the flock, or even occasionally for ducks that are unwell.

If you have a large dog kennel they work great for over night @ruthhope

Oh yes!! I actually have two medium crates [20" x 30" base x22" tall] in my coop as "bedrooms" for my two pekin drakes.
I did actually have the Saxony in the coop in a dog crate short-term for a few nights recently, because he bullies one Buff duck, who usually stays in with the breeder Anconas. I was collecting their eggs for a week so she had to move into the other coop, and I put the drake in the crate. He actually seemed to like going in there by the end of the week :)If I can find a bigger crate I could put both drakes in. Or maybe I'll think about permanently sectioning off a "bedroom" for drakes.
Thanks for the idea!

I have muscovies and I saved one of my ducks from drowning when a drake started mating her in the water but unfortunately when I was away the same thing happened and I lost one of my beautiful ducks. So it is very likely that the same thing could have happened to your lovely duck
Aw, sorry to hear that :(. I ended up rehoming my Saxony drake, as he was just too big for most of the hens.

Back
Top Bottom