Duck and chickens - intro

I moved the chicks and the duckling into the backyard. I put the coop out and used some plastic stakes and mesh wire to build them a run. I had them outside for two days during the day and they seemed happy so instead of bringing them inside in the evening, I put them in the coop overnight. All good so far.

I'm going to have to build a bigger better coop for them too. The one I bought on ebay is inadequate and will probably fall apart after a couple of months. I actually dreamt about a taj mahal of chicken/duck coop a couple of days ago. Have to draw some plans. The design had two separate overnight areas for the chickens and the duck, with a "window" between them. So I could leave the food & water for them inside and the duck wouldn't mess up chickens' living quarters.

What kind of predators do you think we have in Australia? The only ones I can think of is... snakes, cats and maybe large magpies.

Dogs... yes but I very rarely see one roaming around. I probably only saw 2-3 in the last couple of years and that was usually after severe storms. Our property is fenced and I don't think it would be possible for a dog to get in. Cats on the other side, they can jump the fence. A couple more weeks and they should be big enough, so the cats won't attack them.

They've been out for a couple of days now, no predators yet. I put their food bowls inside the coop overnight so other critters can't reach it. Have to buy regular sized feeders and waterers now.

Almost had a chick drown in a bucket of water today. I filled up the bucket for the duck yesterday and I was thinking, surely the chooks are smart enough not to jump into it. Well... that's exactly what happened. It's just one of those shallow buckets for clothes, the duckling can reach the bottom with her feet.
Was watching TV with my hubby and heard lots of fussing outside. Went to check what's going on and the duckling was peeping like mad, the other chicken chirping, both running around the bucket raising alarm... and the other chookie... drowning in the bucket. Plucked her out of the water, dried her off with a towel and I put them all back in the coop after the swimmer recovered a bit. Her belly was all bloated and hard, looked like she swallowed a lot of water but touch wood, her breathing was fine. Initially she was all wobbly and shivering from the shock.

My duck & chooks are now 3 months old and live in the backyard. I fenced off part of it to keep them off the patio but they seem to find a way around it and go on a poop-a-thon :) Overall I'm very glad I got them and looking forward to them starting to lay. New coop is also under construction. I bought them waterer for cattle which attaches to a garden hose and that works wonderfully. The duck thinks she's a chicken and doesn't like water. Still not sure what the duck's gender is but assuming she's a female. I read something about drakes having curled tail feathers and her tail is pretty flat.

Here's a photo of them... they're lovely :)

My flock is now 5-6 months old... and surprise surprise - the duck turned out to be a MALE, no doubt about it, so renamed him to Donald. All seemed good and he got along well with the chickens. A friend built me a coop designed specifically for Donald with a flat ramp so it's easy for him to navigate and it has lots of floor space with high roosts for the chooks. They all seemed very happy and we're awaiting first eggs. I even installed solar lights in the coop as this seems to make them very happy.
About 3 weeks ago he started displaying some odd behaviour which escalated into full on attempts on chickens. He's in love, all hormonal and the chooks are not interested. All sorts of dramas ensued. So I got him a lady friend today, 9 month old pekin duck. His reaction was priceless... instant love. He stared in awe and admired his princess through the fence. The duck though... quacking like mad, very upset. I could not believe how loud she was. The decision to get Donald a lady friend is possibly worst ever.

My flock is now 5-6 months old... and surprise surprise - the duck turned out to be a MALE, no doubt about it, so renamed him to Donald. All seemed good and he got along well with the chickens. A friend built me a coop designed specifically for Donald with a flat ramp so it's easy for him to navigate and it has lots of floor space with high roosts for the chooks. They all seemed very happy and we're awaiting first eggs. I even installed solar lights in the coop as this seems to make them very happy.
About 3 weeks ago he started displaying some odd behaviour which escalated into full on attempts on chickens. He's in love, all hormonal and the chooks are not interested. All sorts of dramas ensued. So I got him a lady friend today, 9 month old pekin duck. His reaction was priceless... instant love. He stared in awe and admired his princess through the fence. The duck though... quacking like mad, very upset. I could not believe how loud she was. The decision to get Donald a lady friend is possibly worst ever.
They will become one I promise. and yep them girls can quack loudly. Hopefully once her and Donald become a pair she'll not be as loud. you did the absolute best for him though and your hens.

That's the plan... get Donald a matching companion so he focuses on her, and they hopefully both settle in. Alternative is to rehome both of them as a pair.
I let them out this morning and they are relatively quiet, apart from occasional quacking. The lady duck had some blood on her nose this morning, not much and it stopped bleeding. I think one of the chooks pecked at her viscously. It's been less than 24h and I'm nervous about the whole situation but it looks like it might work out. There's some squabbling from both Donald and his ex girlfriends, the chooks seem more aggressive while I can't really tell whether Donald is already making advances or participating in establishing the new pecking order.

As long as they stay as settled as they are today and possibly even go quieter, it should be okay. But the level of noise yesterday was really alarming and would get me into trouble with the city council if it continued over several days.

That's the plan... get Donald a matching companion so he focuses on her, and they hopefully both settle in. Alternative is to rehome both of them as a pair.
I let them out this morning and they are relatively quiet, apart from occasional quacking. The lady duck had some blood on her nose this morning, not much and it stopped bleeding. I think one of the chooks pecked at her viscously. It's been less than 24h and I'm nervous about the whole situation but it looks like it might work out. There's some squabbling from both Donald and his ex girlfriends, the chooks seem more aggressive while I can't really tell whether Donald is already making advances or participating in establishing the new pecking order.

As long as they stay as settled as they are today and possibly even go quieter, it should be okay. But the level of noise yesterday was really alarming and would get me into trouble with the city council if it continued over several days.
Hoping it works out for you all.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom