Duck and chickens - intro

Ha! I have good news - the poor chick opened her eyes today. One eye completely open and looks healthy, the other one still a bit closed but I'm pretty sure she's not blind. She had a hard time finding food and water for a couple of days but she definitely looks as perky as the other one today and it's quite hard to tell them apart. Hooray, she's a fighter.

The duckling is also growing so fast. I gave her a stuffed toy and she was freaked out at first but now she snuggles up against the toy. I made her a water bowl with a lid and a small opening wide enough for her bile to fit in.

Ha! I have good news - the poor chick opened her eyes today. One eye completely open and looks healthy, the other one still a bit closed but I'm pretty sure she's not blind. She had a hard time finding food and water for a couple of days but she definitely looks as perky as the other one today and it's quite hard to tell them apart. Hooray, she's a fighter.

The duckling is also growing so fast. I gave her a stuffed toy and she was freaked out at first but now she snuggles up against the toy. I made her a water bowl with a lid and a small opening wide enough for her bile to fit in.
Great news about your chick, and that your duckling likes her stuffy, keep the pics coming, we love pics.
smile.png

Yay! Great news :)

Raaawr... I like biting fingers!!! If they have diamond rings on them even more so
big_smile.png
She likes bling.

And check out her size! She's 10 days old now (as far as I know) and she grows like she's on steroids. 25cm from head to tail today. She's giant compared to the chicks. I tried making some diapers for her out of kids socks last week but I haven't had much luck with that. She's getting big enough now, so I might sew something up for her. Socks frayed at the edges and got caught on her feet when I tried that last week, but I have some leftover fabric that doesn't fray.
Any good duck diaper patterns out there?

I tried introducing her back to the chickens today and she pecked the hell out of them. The poor little chicken was screaming on top of her lungs and I had to intervene pronto. It seemed like the duckling didn't have any feel for what a nice friendly peck would be for the chicken. Didn't even look like pecking to be honest, more like full on biting.

Raaawr... I like biting fingers!!! If they have diamond rings on them even more so
big_smile.png
She likes bling.

And check out her size! She's 10 days old now (as far as I know) and she grows like she's on steroids. 25cm from head to tail today. She's giant compared to the chicks. I tried making some diapers for her out of kids socks last week but I haven't had much luck with that. She's getting big enough now, so I might sew something up for her. Socks frayed at the edges and got caught on her feet when I tried that last week, but I have some leftover fabric that doesn't fray.
Any good duck diaper patterns out there?

I tried introducing her back to the chickens today and she pecked the hell out of them. The poor little chicken was screaming on top of her lungs and I had to intervene pronto. It seemed like the duckling didn't have any feel for what a nice friendly peck would be for the chicken. Didn't even look like pecking to be honest, more like full on biting.

love.gif
She's a cutie. Ducks always freak out or shy from new things. They always have to discuss, ponder, re-discuss, assess, re-asses, pray and vote before any acceptance of new items in their realm. You can coax them but it always ends up being on their time. So endearing to watch! Good luck with your chick.

More pics!!!

Quacky keeping me company while I did some weeding in the garden

I kind of wish I could train her to do the weeding instead of me... those pesky sprouts of weedy grass keep popping out everywhere

Full on running

Chick named "Nana"... that's the one who got her eyes pecked. Looks healthy and happy now

Chick named "Psycho" for her bullying behaviour

More pics!!!

Quacky keeping me company while I did some weeding in the garden

I kind of wish I could train her to do the weeding instead of me... those pesky sprouts of weedy grass keep popping out everywhere

Full on running

Chick named "Nana"... that's the one who got her eyes pecked. Looks healthy and happy now

Chick named "Psycho" for her bullying behaviour
All of your pics are just so sweet, also happy to see your lil chick made it through it's ordeal, looks so cute. Heres a link to some bird diapers for sale but you might be able to get some ideas from it. http://www.etsy.com/shop/PartyFowl

Last edited:
My four ducks have a run the length of our house.
They create a bare ring around the kiddy pool and around the ramp where their food is.
They also keep the grass pretty short but not too bad.

Just skimmed through your thread. Glad to hear the chick is doing better. I didn't see if this was addressed but are you sure that the duckling is a girl? Hopefully it is that way you'll avoid future problems.
I used to have 5 chickens and some ducks in my backyard. The yard was about 60'X40' and the chickens decimated all living things that were not behind a 4' fence. You'll need to keep everyone out of whatever plants you don't want them to get to. The duck will make a muddy mess out of anything that get wet so you'll want to keep her out of areas after rain or watering.
One thing you want to make sure of is that the duckling has a waterer that she can get her whole head in so that she can rinse her eyes and nose.

Here is a thread I started with a duck diaper I made when I had an indoor duckling for a few days. I don't have the patience for that so he went to live outside with the others.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/563787/made-my-own-duck-diaper-directions-added

I wanted to cover a few things so sorry that this post is kind of all over.

Back
Top Bottom