Duck answered my own question (pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 4-H chicken mom, Mar 22, 2009.

1. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    A while back I ask the question whether Black East Indies were good brooders or not. She was hiding eggs for weeks and not sitting and I thought I was letting good eggs go to waste. Well, she answered my questions.

[​IMG]

This is what she is sitting on.

[​IMG]

I can't imagine all of them being good. [​IMG] It was really cold when the first eggs were laid. I will candle them and take out the ones that aren't developing because she is a small duck and cannot cover all these eggs with her body. They are falling out of the nest when she gets in.

2. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Wow hope my black east indie mommas do that.

3. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Wow!!! [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I agree, it's probably a good idea to take some away!! I hope my cayuga doesn't wait that long! I can't find her nest, so I have decided to let her keep it.

5. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    Thats alot of eggs :O

6. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Does she really lay two different colored eggs? Or do you think someone else is sharing the nest with her? My ducks seems to stick to only one color, though one will sometimes lay a darker shade of green or what-not.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    There are two ducks so it is a possibility. [​IMG] I will mark they good eggs, so I will know if any new ones are being added.

8. Is the othe duck an Indie too? That has got to be from more than one hen, a duck alway lays the same color of egg. Sometimes the color fades over the course of a season, but you've clearly got two hen's eggs there. Those blue ones look really cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by