Duck Antibiotics? (Prolapsed Penis)

fish, welcome to the Duck Forum!

There is a little pencil icon in the lower left part of the post after you submit it, that will let you edit.

The white tip is a concern - sounds like dead tissue. I don't know how you are with these things, but some folks on the forum have, if I recall correctly, removed that. But that is surgery. I would not want dead tissue back up inside the drake.

If you keep treating it, it may fall off by itself leaving fresh tissue which could then be encouraged back up into the body.

You may want to consider oral antibiotic to protect him from systemic infection. Here in the U.S. we can get certain kinds at feed stores.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/583837/duck-antibiotics-prolapsed-penis

I have an 9 month old drake who has a prolapsed penis. I have kept in in a warm dry area and keep his penis all lubed up so it could retract easier. What else it there to do and how long will it take to retract? Thanks

I have an 9 month old drake who has a prolapsed penis. I have kept in in a warm dry area and keep his penis all lubed up so it could retract easier. What else it there to do and how long will it take to retract? Thanks
Welcome to the Duck Forum. I'll grab my copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks and be right back.

Okay

separate from others to prevent them from nipping at it
wash the organ with clean warm water and disinfect and treat with medicated ointment.
you can try pushing it back, but that doesn't always keep it there

Amiga here - I would also give him as much time in lukewarm water deep enough to swim in to help tone his muscles and keep his circulation in good shape.

Last edited:
My drake had a prolapsed phallus a few months ago. I took him to the best vet in town and he said the best thing you can try at home is to keep him away from the other ducks and get some hemorrhoid cream put it on and try to push the phallus back up inside. If that doesn't work i would take him to a vet because he is probably in a lot of pain and the sooner you do something the better. I waited a couple of days trying to get my boys phallus back inside and the phallus started dying at the end and he ended up having to get 4 out of 5 inches amputated it cost $780 all up for the checkup, meds and surgery but he is back to normal now and he still thinks he is mating with the girls lol it was worth every cent

after the surgery the vet put him on strong antibiotics for 10 days. i thought i would mention this in case anyone has to do the surgery themselves

So, I've had my ducks for while now and just last week my male Harlequin had a prolapse. My husband got it back in but it came right out. We took him to the vet and they said he strained it and he couldn't keep it in so they put some sutures in. Well its been a week and a little piece popped back out and wont stay in for nothing! So I was just wondering how to perform the prolapse "procedure" just in case I have to do it. Please help!!!!

So, I've had my ducks for while now and just last week my male Harlequin had a prolapse. My husband got it back in but it came right out. We took him to the vet and they said he strained it and he couldn't keep it in so they put some sutures in. Well its been a week and a little piece popped back out and wont stay in for nothing! So I was just wondering how to perform the prolapse "procedure" just in case I have to do it. Please help!!!!
I always heard to keep it moist and keep trying to push it back in, but mainly keep the drake away from the ducks, as long as he keeps using it it won't stay in. they should be kept away for at least a month or more. use Prep H as lube.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom