Duck attack- Warning, graphic pictures

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PheasantsFirst, Nov 16, 2013.

1. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Last night one of my two ducks got attacked and killed. The attacker skinned about half the duck, but ate very little. Few feather were spread around. The other duck's eye was injured. Does anyone know what might have done this? I've never locked the ducks or chickens up at night(until now) and the ducks usually sleep outside. The predator had free access to the pen through a open gate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Above is the bad eye of the duck that survived.
    [​IMG]
    Above is underside of the duck
    [​IMG]
    eye of the killed duck.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Feathers around wound and carcass have a look of being slobbered on which suggest not a raptor. Bird not being dismembered as consumed or packed off suggests not fox or coyote. Damage to more than one bird to head suggest not a opossum as they seem to not go after head to make kill. I think most likely perp is a raccoon. It will likely be back to night so tighten up their nighttime locations. Get good batteries in your flash-light and have a .22 rifle handy. If possible use duck carcass as bait in a live trap, then keep your ears open for birds making a ruckus tonight. Get the bugger, it should be a good time to collect the pelt for the fur buyer.

1 person likes this.
  3. PheasantsFirst

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    thanks, I was beginning to think raccoon. We have a game cam set up and everybody is looked up. If it appears to have come back tonight, them we'll set up a trap.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  4. PheasantsFirst

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Update:

the predator came back last night and chewed the tip of the beak of the duck that survived off. I had moved the duck into a separate cage and it must have slept by the edge. IT also spooked one of my pheasant and it got stuck in the net but he's ok. We've got a trap set now.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Still listen if you can. Coon may go after birds before going into trap.

6. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    That's a raccoon. One killed an OEGB of mine and the carcass looked just like your first picture. And coming back repeatedly to the scene of a strike. I agree you should get a flashlight and a .22 handy. They are clever little jerks.

7. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Raccoons will reach thru the cage or pen and pull the victim and chew what they can pull thru.

8. wormraiser

wormraiser Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2013
    warrior Alabama
    Use a string or large twist tie to keep bait centered in your trap and that way he has to go in to get it also try tuna or sardines. when using sardines and tuna set a cat food can in the trap and poke holes in it to put a tie threw and tie it down in center of trap behind the trigger and he will have to enter then you can shoot him or call animal control which ever you prefer ( I'd shoot it lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by