Duck Attacked By Dog HELP

I feel your posts are trolling because you came in judging others and on the offensive.

Police dogs and service dogs are trained to work with others. Their new owners spend a good chunk of time learning from the trainer. Like I said if you are able to spend the time learning how someone trained your dog it can work. But it is tough to do successfully.

I agree dogs chase and behavior that gets rewarded gets repeated. However the whole idea of prey drive is a non-behaviorists attempt to explain enthusiasm. Dogs are not predators. Our domestication removed that from them. We bred them to be mentally at a very young age for life. Very young animals are not predators. They may play at hunting but they are not truly hunters.

This is a great article that explains some correct terminology.

Prey Drive? http://www.gundogmag.com/training/training_gd_prey_0510/

I feel that if a person realizes they have an issue and reaches out for help we should help educate them in a manner in which they can learn. Being knowingly rude puts them on the defensive and generally causes a person to shut down. This causes us to loose the opportunity to educate. Also, we never know the whole story or background. We only know what they choose to type. We can't fill on the blanks accurately without asking further questions.

Last edited:
I´m going to post on here just because I find the subject interesting.
The prey drive thing.... well, I live in a countryside area where all my neighbours have little farmsteads, or big ones.... They all have chickens, some have ducks, some have geese (I have all these too). Some have cattle, horses, and they all of them have at least one dog, the majority have around 5.
In general people around here leave their pups free with their birds. They leave them to used to each other, and although a lot of folks on here won´t agree with this, the people that live here just let them get on with it...the pups, at about 6 months or so generally kill some chickens or ducks. As they grow, they kill fewer....and then once they´re grown, they rarely kill any. (Some get quite trustworthy, but others will still get excited with a couple of cocks fighting, etc.) That´s the way it is here. It´s a bit tough, but it does seem to disprove the prey drive thing about once they taste blood... in fact, most of the time it seems it´s not the blood they want, it´s the game. Once that´s finished, it´s done. They don´t want to eat it, and often don´t even break the skin.
Even stray dogs tend not to touch the chickens. Most dogs here aren´t kept in, they go where they wish, and in that way they´re coming across all the chickens, that also go where they wish.. it works out in the end. There are loads of chickens around here, and the ducks go free-range in the fields.
So, just from what I see here, the theory about prey-drive and tasting blood seems to be quite debatable.
Also, accidents happen, whoever you are, and however careful you are.

I feel your posts are trolling because you came in judging others and on the offensive.

Police dogs and service dogs are trained to work with others. Their new owners spend a good chunk of time learning from the trainer. Like I said if you are able to spend the time learning how someone trained your dog it can work. But it is tough to do successfully.

I agree dogs chase and behavior that gets rewarded gets repeated. However the whole idea of prey drive is a non-behaviorists attempt to explain enthusiasm. Dogs are not predators. Our domestication removed that from them. We bred them to be mentally at a very young age for life. Very young animals are not predators. They may play at hunting but they are not truly hunters.

This is a great article that explains some correct terminology.

Prey Drive? http://www.gundogmag.com/training/training_gd_prey_0510/

I feel that if a person realizes they have an issue and reaches out for help we should help educate them in a manner in which they can learn. Being knowingly rude puts them on the defensive and generally causes a person to shut down. This causes us to loose the opportunity to educate. Also, we never know the whole story or background. We only know what they choose to type. We can't fill on the blanks accurately without asking further questions.
Any reputable dog training includes training for the human as well. Training a dog using any method is hard to do successfully. I feel your opinion is somewhat based on negative personal experiences. Good training centres are an extremely good option in certain circumstances.

I feel we are simply arguing about terminology on the second point. The term 'prey drive' refers to a particular behaviour dogs display. I really don't think it matters what we call it, both of us seem to know the behaviour i was talking about and acknowledge that it exists.

At no point did i say anything about dogs getting the taste for blood. I made a comment about duck tasting good because it read better and we should all be smart enough to understand the actual message being made. So quick to dispel my post as myth when they obviously aren't. My first post was short and stated what nobody else had. It was only when the response indicating that no effort would be made to house the animals separately for no particular reason at all that i was offended..

Back
Top Bottom