Duck attacked by Jaws

crazylilchick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Missouri
I think my runner was attacked by a snapping turtle. My husband has seen a big one in our pond. It could have been something else but the ducks are afraid to get in the water now so we are thinking snapper. The ducks are all locked up in the coop again until its safe. We set a line across the pond and baited it with chicken liver catfish bait, trying to catch the snapper. Well before my husband could paddle away from the line we had already caught a catfish. He set if free and reset the line. This morning he checked the line and we had FOUR catfish.....no turtle. I'm afraid to let my ducks back out! MY runner was almost killed and we are still waiting to see if she recovers. She was tore up! Any ideas on what to do about a pond with killer snapping turtles. We have named the big one Jaws. I would really like to make it safe to let the ducks back out. My husband thinks the turtle is cool....I say ducks are way cooler than snappers and Jaws has to be evicted!!! How do I make it safer for my ducks? They were only out there 4 days and one of the almost died! If I can't get rid of the turtles I may have to give the ducks away. I don't want them getting hurt.

Snapping turtles and ducks do not make for harmony on the pond. All of the snapping turtles will have to go, or the ducks will have to be kept away from the pond. Even a snapping turtle that is not very big can pull a duck under the water and drown it.

That sunning trap looks like a great idea. I must say it is expensive for what it is but it looks like it would be very simple to duplicate. And the best part is the turtle can be relocated to a better location. I doubt it would travel back to its home pond like other predators may do after being relocated. Good luck.

Cool looking trap, I agree it is a bit high $$ but can be made as a DIY project at home. once the turtle is gone you have to try to figure out a method to get the duck's back in the water.

AL

You can take a large salt water,or stripped bass hook. Attach it to an old jug. (laundry detergent bottle) with 30 lb test line. About 3 feet of line will do. Add some chicken liver. You'll see the jug moving around when you have it. Your on the rite track,you just need a bigger hook.

Have you ever tried turtle soup?
tongue.png

I hear cooked turtle is tasty. Never tried it myself, but my Uncle loved it. He was always pulling big snappers out of his pond to keep his ducks safe.

Back
Top Bottom