Duck attacked by Lace Monitor

Reuboid

Chirping
Nov 10, 2021
Earlier today, one of my ducks was attacked by a lace monitor (big lizard) and lost a chunk of feathers (not visibly noticeable). She now has a really big limp but there is no visible blood or anything. No one saw the attack take place, we just heard the ducks and went outside to find the lizard with a mouth full of feathers standing away from the ducks. What should I do? She isn’t walking around with the other ducks and is just sitting still.

Earlier today, one of my ducks was attacked by a lace monitor (big lizard) and lost a chunk of feathers (not visibly noticeable). She now has a really big limp but there is no visible blood or anything. No one saw the attack take place, we just heard the ducks and went outside to find the lizard with a mouth full of feathers standing away from the ducks. What should I do? She isn’t walking around with the other ducks and is just sitting still.
First Treat her for shock
Bring her inside to a quiet and dark place
Give her electrolytes water
Let her rest

How is your duck today?

How is your duck today?
Her limp is getting better and she is eating and drinking fine. She can run away pretty quickly as well. I’m pretty sure the lace monitor was just going for water and saw the ducks as a quick snack as they were sitting in the paddling pool, it often just goes for their eggs or for water.

Her limp is getting better and she is eating and drinking fine. She can run away pretty quickly as well. I’m pretty sure the lace monitor was just going for water and saw the ducks as a quick snack as they were sitting in the paddling pool, it often just goes for their eggs or for water.
Wow! And I thought we had some scary predators here in Florida, but the alligators generally stick by lakes and ponds. Don't know what I'd do if a giant land lizard was a threat! Those things look mean lol.

Glad your duck is okay!

Back
Top Bottom