Duck not walking after maybe being attacked

Cottonwood14

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2023
Hello, I have a khaki Campbell that I think was attacked by either our Pekin drake or Muscovy hen. I’m honestly not sure what happened but my khaki is pretty messed up and she can’t walk. She can kind of stand but otherwise she’s dragging her left side and mostly just laying there. Has anyone had a duck recover from something like this or am I going to have to put her down? I wish I could say specifically what’s wrong but I can’t. And she has already been separated and is currently staying in the house.

i’m sorry to hear this . but ducks can and have recovered quite well from even much worse attacks.
First a warm bath in epsom salts water but don’t let her drink any. then dry her off a bit and examine her for injuries. give her electrolytes water to drink . and perhaps a dose of poultry vitamins like “rooster booster - poultry cell” or “nutridrench”
poultry cell tastes terrible so dont add it to the water.
you can give 1 ml orally by syringe ( no needle attached)
follow instructions here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Have you examined her to make sure she hasn't any wounds? compare both legs and gently examine the left one for breaks. It sure sounds like something serious happened. What makes you think it was your Pekin or Muscovy had you seen them go after her before now?

Duck chicks typically have problems with legs sometimes by vitamin deficiencies. I assume that this is not the case, but if the diet can be improved and more diverse, it will not do harm.

Back
Top Bottom