HappyDuckies

Chirping
Aug 18, 2015
Attached a picture. What do I do??

Attachments

• 784DB137-ADA0-43D4-B4BF-2CE4C35BCB29.jpeg
    784DB137-ADA0-43D4-B4BF-2CE4C35BCB29.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 34
Ouch! Definitely see a vet ASAP if possible. Chipped beaks aren’t an issue, but something as severe as this will make it impossible for your duck to eat and drink. If you absolutely can’t see a vet you will need to be manually feeding and watering several times a day.
I know beaks usually shed and grow back more or less like finger nails, but damage like this might have damaged nerves, I don’t know if they grow back from that point, or if they grow back properly if they do. Definitely seek professional advice for this!!
I’ve seen prosthetics for beaks before for damage like this... don’t know how expensive though.

Ouch! Definitely see a vet ASAP if possible. Chipped beaks aren’t an issue, but something as severe as this will make it impossible for your duck to eat and drink. If you absolutely can’t see a vet you will need to be manually feeding and watering several times a day.
I know beaks usually shed and grow back more or less like finger nails, but damage like this might have damaged nerves, I don’t know if they grow back from that point, or if they grow back properly if they do. Definitely seek professional advice for this!!
I’ve seen prosthetics for beaks before for damage like this... don’t know how expensive though.
I’m hoping less than $1000. I’ve already racked up $300+ for bumblefoot and a raccoon attack, and I’m a senior in high school- college is already going to kick my booty money wise. Looks like I have to find them a new home because these are happening during the day. They stay up at night. He was acting fine and doing the little happy eyes just now when I was giving him a belly rub. He’s definitely a fighter!

Do you have any idea what happened ? Provide moistened feed in a deep dish so that the duck is able to eat and keep the duck in a clean environment until the damage is healed.
I’m thinking a snapping turtle. I’m taking him to the vet tomorrow morning and I’m also going to start looking for a new home. It doesn’t break my heart as much as it would knowing that if they stayed here this would keep up.

Back
Top Bottom