Duck Bedding

thechickenflock

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
Not Garden City, Thank God
At the moment the firequackers live with my chickens in a shaving filled coop and are making a royal mess in the corner they sleep in. In the spring there is a strong possibility of them moving out and getting a place of their own. What bedding do you use and/or what bedding do you recommend.

I use shavings, and I strongly recommend a watering station and spot picking daily and fluffing the bedding with a cultivator. You can also put sawdust pellets under the shavings to absorb additional moisture. Sprinkle a little Sweet PDZ or dry peat moss into the sawdust to prevent ammonia formation. Are the ducks protected from the poop from roosting chickens?

I use straw, I really like it. When I got them I started with shavings, they liked to eat them which bothered me. The shavings always seemed like they got soaked so fast. The straw seems to absorb and keep the wet contained instead of spreading. Also easy to grab out of their co-op and then I toss it in the compost bin. The shavings I felt like I was peeling off the co-op floor no matter how much I put in there and how often I changed it.

I use alfalfa! It absorbs the smell and i dont have to change it nearly as often as pine shavings i used to use. I buy it by the bale from my local feed store!

I also use wood shavings in my duck house and just pick up the poops every morning with gloves and a "poop bucket". Then I fluff the shavings and add more on days it's needed. Works great for me to keep the Duck House clean and I don't have any smell issues since the poo is removed daily.

Back
Top Bottom