Duck bedding

Dingleberry

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 22, 2010
Woodinville, Wa
big_smile.png
Ok I have a chicken coop off the ground and I thought to enclose the bottom (Dirt) for the ducks. I am planning on 3 fixed sides and one side open from the bottom up. so I can just easily get under there with a rake to change the bedding. What would be the best bedding material for them. Shavings, straw, dead grass... under this...
55125_p7180114.jpg
barnie.gif

I'm am not knowledgeable enough to suggest the best bedding for ducks
smile.png
but I can say that dead grass probably not a good option, esp in hot weather. It has a lot of moisture and will rot inside the coop...unless you dry it out well before putting it in there?

I am interested to know that as well - ducks out of the coop.

My coop was nice and perfect size for my chickens.... until I put the ducks out side.

The duck house is actually nicer than the chicken coop, but I guess the "water chickens" want to stay with the other chickens. The only way I can keep the ducks out of the chicken coop is to close the door. However, when the door is closed the ducks sleep right outside the door, they wont go to their house.
Now I let them all stay together. It requires a little more frequent cleaning but all the chickens, water and regular, seem to be happy.

Now the chickens use the duck house as their day-house for nappy-time.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom