Duck Behavior?

Thank you so, so much to everyone for your answers :) I'm so glad to finally have some answers about this. It's been bugging me for so long lol

I had to come ask folks when my chocolate Ancona started doing that to me. I thought she had some strange neurological condition!

My duck just recently started this. It's pretty adorable and she seems to encourage me to pet her with this behavior. Or does it more when I have treats. :)
I was about to post this question to see what it means. I was guessing the same thing you all are saying.
Gotta love those ducks.

I did not realize how complicated duck behavior could be. Now that my buff duck is setting her best friend? trys to hone in on the other roens group and the drake chases her off.hmm interesting, he will breed her though but he is definately saying get out of here.

One of my female ducks will do this when she sees me coming and wants food.
She also dies it when she wants to go in her shed at night.
I think she's just being sociable :)

I have always seen it as a "telling off" behavior in context because usually it appears that one hen is telling another hen that the drake she is next to is hers. If the hen being "talked to" does not back off the hen doing the "chewing out" will chase her off and return to the drake.

My kids had this Pocohontas video game years ago where Meiko (the raccoon) falls in the water and makes this same sort of noise as he swims back to shore looking like a drowned cat so I always hear it as a sort of perturbed sounding voice, lol.

There is a similar "excited" voice the hens use but the "leave my man alone" voice is what comes to mind because it is done over the shoulder while the excited voice is usually forward facing.

Last edited:
Problem Ducks in the Donkey trough.
It was disgusting, mud feathers!
This was my solution with wire fencing and it worked!
The taller fencing is behind. The lower in front rolled back and just a few inches higher than the trough edge.
The donkeys have the larger range of motion to drink.
The ducks have big feet that got in the way!

Back
Top Bottom