Duck Breed - Any guesses?

Quote:
Rest assured those photos were taken after emptying, cleaning and refilling their bath. It provides a unique window of up to twelve hours where the water is vaguely translucent before it goes back to mud brown.

Quote:
Any reason you think the white is not pekin? I have no reason to doubt, just by photo comparison it made sense and would love to know what the signs are.

They do not all have to be the same breed by any stretch btw. The boys are from the other side of the country, and are no connection.

The only thing that puts me off Rouen, from what I've seen, is they tend to have a large belly/'undercarriage' (for want of a better word) where as my ducks don't. But maybe that's not a must.

I would say the white one is a Pekin and the other 3 are Rouens.
wink.png

I am no expert but IMO the white one is not a Pekin.The size looks small the head looks small and the bill color is way off. Unless it is the colors in the pic...

Here are some of mine...the color of the photo is off but it gives you a better idea of the body style...the second pic shows color very well.All my Pekins look like this...

57454_039.jpg

57454_jul07_011.jpg

But regardless what they all are...they are pretty anyway
smile.png

Any reason you think the white is not pekin? I have no reason to doubt, just by photo comparison it made sense and would love to know what the signs are.

The bill is too pale, too thin, and too long. The tail is too broad, feet are more yellow than the deep orange of a pekin, and the body carriage is too horizontal. I would say if that bird isn't a muscovy, then it is a muscovy cross.

The only thing that puts me off Rouen, from what I've seen, is they tend to have a large belly/'undercarriage' (for want of a better word) where as my ducks don't. But maybe that's not a must.

Generally speaking only show quality rouens have the keel (belly/undercarriage) that you are speaking of. For a production quality rouen, she looks perfect.​

Back
Top Bottom