Duck Breed Focus - Silver Appleyard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sumi, Oct 17, 2015.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The Silver Appleyard duck was created by Reginald Appleyard, from which the breed took it's name. He created this breed on his farm, “Priory Waterfowl Farm”, which was located at Ixworth, near Bury St. Edmonds in Suffolk, England, in the 1930’s. He managed to create a heavy bird that aged 9 weeks old, could produce a roughly 6.5lbs table bird (plucked) with an excellent meat to bone ratio, that was also capable of laying a good number of large white eggs.
    After World War II Silver Appleyard ducks became very rare as the interest in poultry declined in Britain. Tom Bartlett, owner of "Folly Farm" in Gloucestershire, England, kept 130 different breeds of poultry for display to the public and was instrumental in reviving the Appleyard during the late 1980’s.
    Silver Appleyards are usually the most active foragers out of all the breeds of heavy duck. They are great additions to the homestead that make excellent table birds and lay large white eggs and go broody fairly often.
    The Silver Appleyard was introduced to North America during the late 1960’s, but they took some 20 years before being readily available. The breed was admitted to the British Poultry Standard in 1982 and the American Standard of Perfection in 1998.

Details:

Uses: Dual purpose, meat and eggs.
    Egg laying: 100 to 180 large white eggs yearly.
    Origin: U.K.
    Weight: Drake: 8 – 10 lbs; Duck: 7 – 8 lbs (large fowl)
    The breed comes in large fowl as well as "Mini" size.

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Miss Prissy

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Miss Prissy

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Cherlyn

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Cherlyn

BYC Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/silver-appleyard

Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/283565/mini-appleyard-ducks/0_30

Do you own Silver Appleyards? Are you a Silver Appleyard breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Wow, such pretty ducks! And that duckling with it's head down on the towel is precious.

Yay, another duck breed to read about...thanks Sumi!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Aren't they gorgeous, Gosh I have on my list so many I'd like to have and this breed is one of them. Now to go buy lots of acreage to keep them all on. [​IMG].

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    BEAUTIFUL! This breed is also on my list.

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    After today this breed is on MY list as well, along with Runners. It's @Amiga 's fault that I have to have Runners [​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You know I just get weak in the knees when I see Silver Appleyards. sigh. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I wish I didn't see that duckling pic *sigh* I'm as broody as half a hen house already.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

9. RezChamp

RezChamp Chillin' With My Peeps

yup yup........They are a gorgeous bird with a good carcass and good laying ability. I've been looking at them for a few years but I don't have them. ....yet.

10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Thanks so much for starting this, I have one!! I thought drake, and now looking at the photos am really wondering if its not a duck. Stunning colors, and wow fast growth, comparable to pekin. I plan to get in touch with the breeder for more eggs. Mine are from Prather's Poultry in KY. Will take a pic or 2 tomorrow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by