Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sumi, Oct 10, 2015.

1. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    x2!

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I am new to ducks and picked the WH for my first breed because they are supposed to be calm. I also think they are beautiful. I have them mostly for pets but the eggs will be a bonus. I adore my girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

[​IMG] @lomine precious duckling and gorgeous ducks

4. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @lomine love that picture of them swimming in the sink!

5. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    lomine they are so cute! Is that duckweed they are eating in the second pic [​IMG]

6. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    No it's not duckweed. The nursery didn't have any so the worker recommended faerie moss. They loved it.

7. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Cool, I've never heard of faerie moss, we have lots of duckweed and our ducklings loved eating it.

8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Flock Master

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Glad there's a breed focus on this breed because they're one of the breeds I want when I get ducks. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. yeastydeath

yeastydeath New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    I have two Welsh drakes that I picked up locally. I had Khaki Cambells and wanted a female that would go broody and sit on the eggs, but ended up getting all three drakes. Luckily I was able to trade one. They have an okay demeanor in my experience, about as skittish as the Cambells, but I imagine it's largely in how you raise them as well. The coloring is much nicer in the females from what I've seen, Dewie and Louie are pretty plain looking.

10. tess36

tess36 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2015
    Central Virginia
    I am new to ducks and have six WH ducks. I started with three and took over my sister's three on Friday. They were all shipped together and will be three weeks old tomorrow.

I decided on WHs because I wanted nonflying, calm ducks that were a light breed to get my feet wet.[​IMG] I have two small boys, one three years old and the other is less than two, so I wanted ducks that hopefully wouldn't be too spooked by them. Of course, the eggs are a plus, too! To top it off, I just think they are beautiful. Here are my original three, Margo, Edith, and Agnes, outside for the first time on Friday. This was about an hour before three became six! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by