Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

Pics
Hi we've had our for 2 yrs now and they haven't flown over our 4 ft fences....even when chased by my rascal children.

Does anyone know if Welsh harlequins fly and whether I will need to clip their wings? I've read they don't but mine like a good old run up the garden whilst they flap! Worried they will take off!
No... and yes. Our Zachary manages to fly about 2 - 3 meters when jumping off a bank to the grass below or if there is a downward slope. However, yesterday we had quite a comical turn of events. He was walking (waddling!) down a steep driveway and suddenly it became very windy. He was walking into the wind and with a flap of the wings he took off. Because he flew in the direction of the downward slope and because of the wind, he quickly ended up being several meters in the air - and the wind kept taking him up! He was obviously quite perturbed as I could see his head bobbing below his body in an effort to work out what on earth was happening and how to get down! I lost sight of him after he flew over our neighbours house (which sits below ours) and down the bank in front of them.

Fearing that he'd ended up all the way down at the wetlands area below our suburb, I was relieved to find him on the grassy bank just below the neighbour's house. Looking rather dazed, but no worse for wear. I don't actually think he could have made it much further as he's rather rotund (due to his excellent diet) and he would be extremely unfit!

However, after all that, I don't think that under normal circumstances he could make it more than a few meters. And he definitely has never flown 'upwards' from the ground.

I'm guessing your babies are about 7 weeks old now. Any clear quacks?

Hi we've had our for 2 yrs now and they haven't flown over our 4 ft fences....even when chased by my rascal children.

Haha my son has just turned two. He loves his "baby ducks" and although mostly very good with them he likes to follow them around. Rebeccah (our duck) gets a bit protective and gives him a little nibble to warn him she's not happy - which makes my son roar with laughter and does it all the more. Bless them. They are very good, calm ducks - cats, dog and child considered! But hand reared and lived in our bath for the first 6 weeks. We have 6 foot fences and at the end of the garden massive tress with the house to the front. So hoping if they take off they won't get anywhere!!

No... and yes.  Our Zachary manages to fly about 2 - 3 meters when jumping off a bank to the grass below or if there is a downward slope.  However, yesterday we had quite a comical turn of events. He was walking (waddling!) down a steep driveway and suddenly it became very windy.  He was walking into the wind and with a flap of the wings he took off.  Because he flew in the direction of the downward slope and because of the wind, he quickly ended up being several meters in the air - and the wind kept taking him up!  He was obviously quite perturbed as I could see his head bobbing below his body in an effort to work out what on earth was happening and how to get down!  I lost sight of him after he flew over our neighbours house (which sits below ours) and down the bank in front of them.

Fearing that he'd ended up all the way down at the wetlands area below our suburb, I was relieved to find him on the grassy bank just below the neighbour's house.  Looking rather dazed, but no worse for wear.  I don't actually think he could have made it much further as he's rather rotund (due to his excellent diet) and he would be extremely unfit!

However, after all that, I don't think that under normal circumstances he could make it more than a few meters.  And he definitely has never flown 'upwards' from the ground.

I'm guessing your babies are about 7 weeks old now.  Any clear quacks?

I'm my goodness what an adventure! Naughty little Zachary at it again - what a character already
1f602.png

I am nervous about this happening as they like to run and flap especially when the wind blows! Are you considering clipping their wings?

Yes! I'm pretty sure I have 2 girls and a boy! So predictions were right! The 2 girls are quacking, Douglas is still peeping at 7 weeks. His bill is also starting to lighten, yellowy green. Will post a picture tomorrow! X

I am looking for a few female Welsh Harlequin. Is anyone selling?
(Willamette Valley Area) Or does anyone want to go in on an order with me? There is a delivery date Sept 12th 2016.

The Welsh Harlequin is my favorite standard-sized duck breed. They're pretty (
1f600.png
), have a great temperament, and are amazing mothers. This WH hatched 17/17 eggs this spring, and is currently sitting on another 16 eggs. Can't recommend them enough!

I have 2 females and 2 males breeding age. They are approximately 6 months old and I've seen them mate for at least a month. When will the eggs start and is there anything to watch for to see when they're getting ready to lay?

My girls and boys. I have 4 girls, 2 boys. They are really great. Still not completely mature. I expect them to start laying next month, when they will be 4.5 months old.

I have 2 females and 2 males breeding age. They are approximately 6 months old and I've seen them mate for at least a month. When will the eggs start and is there anything to watch for to see when they're getting ready to lay?

Not much drama to a duck laying once they are in the mood unlike a chicken. Ducks will lay to a nest, but are just as likely to squat and lay one right in the front yard. What to watch for is one of the hens 'disappears'. That is when it is time to take a walk-about on your property to see where she is nesting. Best I can tell you.

I am planning on getting some Welsh Harlequins at the beginning of March for my backyard. I don't want a big flock, probably about five ducks in total. I'm torn between getting all females or mostly females and one male. Does anyone have any advice? Will I have to worry about accumulating an insane amount of ducklings if I get a male?
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom