Duck Breed help - 2 unknown ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tayayelor, Mar 30, 2017.

1. tayayelor

tayayelor New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Hey so I've got two ducks fully grown, I did not purchase them my brother did so I have no idea where he got them or what breed they are. I'm wanting to know though because they have started laying eggs and I can't even officially tell if ones female and ones male. Most of the eggs they've laid have come up as nothing. But she also won't brood them cause she's actually mentally challenged, and I don't mean that as an insult. So Id kind of like to know what I can about their breed and their eggs.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These pics aren't great but they're the only ones I have any help would be appreciated thanks

2. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Looks like the brown one is a Rouen and the white and fawn one is a White and Fawn Runner.

3. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Need better photos if you want to tell gender. Does one have curly tail feathers? Do they both quack?

4. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    My educated guess:

The light duck is definitely a fawn & white Indian Runner but the dark duck is more of a challenge. I guess she is a Rouen.

Judging by the picture both are females.

I have two questions though. What do you mean by the eggs 'have come up as nothing'? Also why do you think she is 'mentally challenged'? Ducks very rarely brood, and if both are females than the eggs can't be fertile. Also, don't let the dog chase them: they don't like it and strenuous running can cause severe damage to their ovaries, just due to the anatomy of the Runner.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    2 people like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are adorable and look very young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by