Duck Breed ID

Ryebi

Chirping
Dec 28, 2020
My neighbor's daughter suddenly moved out and left a small flock of ducks behind. I'm the only other neighbor with ducks (Muscovy) so was the only who was willing to take them.

The only person who might have a concrete clue what they are would be the daughter, but she's long gone.

They're pretty small, completely flightless (my pup decided something about them required chasing and yeah despite running and flapping like crazy, nothing), the drake looks like a mallard to a T, there's only blue on his wing. 5 of the females almost look like a light chocolate with a dove grey "lacing" and are pretty identical except for one who has a small crest. #6 looks nothing like the others, she is mostly white with cream splotches and is much bigger and holds herself a lot more upright.

1228201613-1.jpg
1228201612c-1.jpg

My neighbor's daughter suddenly moved out and left a small flock of ducks behind. I'm the only other neighbor with ducks (Muscovy) so was the only who was willing to take them.

The only person who might have a concrete clue what they are would be the daughter, but she's long gone.

They're pretty small, completely flightless (my pup decided something about them required chasing and yeah despite running and flapping like crazy, nothing), the drake looks like a mallard to a T, there's only blue on his wing. 5 of the females almost look like a light chocolate with a dove grey "lacing" and are pretty identical except for one who has a small crest. #6 looks nothing like the others, she is mostly white with cream splotches and is much bigger and holds herself a lot more upright.

View attachment 2466986View attachment 2466987
The brown ones look like Golden 300 Hybrids mixes, and the creamish one looks like a Saxony mix. I would assume they are mutts though. They are beautiful! Good luck!

I always thought runners had that weird posture you see in pictures? She defo holds herself higher than the others though. Hilariously, if that's what runners look like in real life, I honestly don't mind them nearly as much as I thought I would. The pictures of the super rigid birds freak me out.

Will say though I'm really not sure the others are all mallards. All of them appear to be completely flightless and the females don't have the brown ticking-marks or blue on their wings? Unless this is some kind of juvenile feathering?

I can kind of see the Golden 300, I just wish I knew what duck breed might cause the dove grey lacing (if they were chickens, they'd be best described as "blue laced red" in colour, but with a very muted "red").

Oh she's defo a runner after seeing your pictures! The drake and other ducks are extremely small. I was able to carry four under one arm and they felt even lighter than they looked. Like maybe 2lbs each. Banty types.

Back
Top Bottom