Duck breed not breedable?

SilkieCRZYness

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Florida
I have a male muscovy and a female pekin and i incubated her eggs and they are hatching today
big_smile.png
these are my first hatched ducks, they are yellow with a black head, well two are so far. I asked about a month ago what these babies breed is called and someone replied just mutts and that they cannot reproduce? is that tru? y wouldnt they be able to no reproduce? which one is not sexual pure? thanks so much

The male muscovy and a female pekin produce offspring which are called mules. These offspring are sterile. I've heard people raise them for meat. It's like when a mule equine is created. Almost all mule equines are sterile also.

I just did a google search and found this info

http://www.metzerfarms.com/mule.htm

If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female you will hatch moulards (or mule ducks); if you cross a Pekin male with a Muscovy female the progeny are called hinnies.

Mules and hinnies cannot reproduce. Both males are sterile and only the hinny females lay eggs (though they cannot hatch). If you have Muscovy and Pekin together, the chances are poor that they will cross but if they do, a hinny will probably be the result as Pekin males can catch Muscovy females easier than Muscovy males can catch Pekin females.

I hope that helps.​

That is an interesting piece of trivia. I wasn't thinking about getting either breed but it is good to know.

I wonder in any of the chicken or goos breeds are like that.

The female offspring would still lay eggs, I imagine. They eggs just wouldn't be fertile.

I could be wrong though.

-Kim

I find this situation so interesting. It makes me wonder whether the Muscovy should be considered a "breed" of duck or a "species" of duck. Because technically any "breed" of duck crossed should produce fertile offspring. While two species can breed together, the offspring is considered a hybrid and infertile.

So is the Muscovy a different "breed" or a different "species"?

-Kim

Muscovies are a different species. Most of our other domestic ducks came from Mallard-type lineage. Muscovy ducks are their own separate species.

Back
Top Bottom