Duck breed suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ally Rose, May 20, 2012.

1. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Songster

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    I have been searching for the right breed of duck to hatch this summer and I haven't had any luck. If anyone could suggest a duck that makes a good pet and that isn't that loud or big I would be really thankful. I thought mandarins? would be a cool breed but it turns out they aren't good pets. I really like mallards? so if anyone has input about them that would be great. Thank you!!!

PS I put some things you should include in your answer in bold. THANKS!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    All ducks are going to have a probability of making a good pet. Though many find Muscovies to be more affectionate than Mallard derived breeds but they are a large breed. Most of the bantam breeds are going to be loud. The eggs will also be more expensive and bantam breeds are harder to hatch for many breeds. Also all female ducks are going to be loud. There is no way around it. It's part of keeping ducks. That being said certain breeds do quack less often than others. I would suggest Cayugas and Welsh Harlequins for calmer breeds.

3. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Songster

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    Any other suggestions?

4. PetesMom

PetesMom Songster

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    Why not a muscovy hen? [​IMG] They aren't THAT big....and they don't make any noise except for the occasional little whistle?

What exactly are you looking to get ducks for? How many? Kept inside or out? MOST ducks are pretty noisy expecially the females, with the muscovy being the exception

5. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Songster

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    I just wanted to hatch some this summer. I dont know if ill keep them once they reach adulthood because ducks are kinda not allowed where I live. Would I be able to keep a duck inside?

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    If you buy a diaper harness

7. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Songster

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    haha yes I was planning on buying those. Where can i get them though?

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
  9. PetesMom

PetesMom Songster

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I don't think Nettie makes them anymore unless she has her own site or something?? If you look on the home page it says so.

If you have a facebook you can search for "Waddle Wrappers"....if you aren't aloud to have ducks in your area I would maybe double check on raising them at all

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

I agreee PetesMom you don't want to hatch some ducklings then when adults go dump them at a local park that has a pond or lake that just isn't right. And are you sure you can find homes for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: