Duck Breed

Miriahb

Chirping
Jul 24, 2015
Batesville, AR
I picked up four ducklings this spring from the local feed store. Two ended up being Khaki Campbell males, one is a Cayuga male and then this grey-silvery female. I have no idea what her breed is. I thought when she was a duckling that she was a Welsh Harlequin, but now I'm not so sure. The duck with her is my daughter's Jumbo Pekin. Help please?

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
There are variations of the Campbell breed, so she could be a variation. This is rare though. She's probably a mixed breed. Where did you get her from? A hatchery or a local person?

Miriahb

Chirping
Jul 24, 2015
Batesville, AR
She was gotten from the feed store out of a group of ducklings from a hatchery. As a duckling, she looked like a Welsh Harlequin. She is on the far left.

chikdukturkmom

In the Brooder
May 31, 2016
ARIZONA
There are variations of the Campbell breed, so she could be a variation. This is rare though. She's probably a mixed breed. Where did you get her from? A hatchery or a local person?

Ive got one that looks just like her from my local feed store too! Everyone on here says shes a buff.

Miriahb

Chirping
Jul 24, 2015
Batesville, AR
I've seen some like her coloring at our local pond, but they have the puffs on their heads while she does not. I thought buffs were a golden color?

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I've seen some like her coloring at our local pond, but they have the puffs on their heads while she does not. I thought buffs were a golden color?

Buffs are a golden color.
But, if she's not fully molted she might be this color.
And that doesn't look like a welsh harlequin duckling- not even close.

Miriahb

Chirping
Jul 24, 2015
Batesville, AR
She has molted. And she was kind of a golden-y brown, similar to other Welsh harlequin ducklings I have seen. The only difference is that her bill is black.

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
She has molted. And she was kind of a golden-y brown, similar to other Welsh harlequin ducklings I have seen. The only difference is that her bill is black. 

She could be a buff.
Welsh Harlequins are more of a yellow to dark yellow with black or golden colored "hue" on their heads.

Miriahb

Chirping
Jul 24, 2015
Batesville, AR
I thought she looked like a Swedish duck. I cannot recall the name of that color pattern, but I have seen that in pictures of flocks of Swedish.
I think you may be right, especially after I looked at some of the silver blue swedish. She's very similar.

Top Bottom