Duck Breed

Miriahb

Chirping
Jul 24, 2015
Batesville, AR
I picked up four ducklings this spring from the local feed store. Two ended up being Khaki Campbell males, one is a Cayuga male and then this grey-silvery female. I have no idea what her breed is. I thought when she was a duckling that she was a Welsh Harlequin, but now I'm not so sure. The duck with her is my daughter's Jumbo Pekin. Help please?

There are variations of the Campbell breed, so she could be a variation. This is rare though. She's probably a mixed breed. Where did you get her from? A hatchery or a local person?

She was gotten from the feed store out of a group of ducklings from a hatchery. As a duckling, she looked like a Welsh Harlequin. She is on the far left.

There are variations of the Campbell breed, so she could be a variation. This is rare though. She's probably a mixed breed. Where did you get her from? A hatchery or a local person?

Ive got one that looks just like her from my local feed store too! Everyone on here says shes a buff.

I've seen some like her coloring at our local pond, but they have the puffs on their heads while she does not. I thought buffs were a golden color?

I've seen some like her coloring at our local pond, but they have the puffs on their heads while she does not. I thought buffs were a golden color?

Buffs are a golden color.
But, if she's not fully molted she might be this color.
And that doesn't look like a welsh harlequin duckling- not even close.

She has molted. And she was kind of a golden-y brown, similar to other Welsh harlequin ducklings I have seen. The only difference is that her bill is black.

She has molted. And she was kind of a golden-y brown, similar to other Welsh harlequin ducklings I have seen. The only difference is that her bill is black. 

She could be a buff.
Welsh Harlequins are more of a yellow to dark yellow with black or golden colored "hue" on their heads.

I thought she looked like a Swedish duck. I cannot recall the name of that color pattern, but I have seen that in pictures of flocks of Swedish.
I think you may be right, especially after I looked at some of the silver blue swedish. She's very similar.

Back
Top Bottom