Duck breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Justhatched, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I would like to get a duck or two. That is my first question. Would a duck to better with a second duck or would the duck be okay with my chickens? I am not too concerned about the amount of eggs the duck would lay. I have two in mind, Blue Swedish and Welsh Harlequin. I would like a calm and friendly breed(s). What do you think of those two breeds?

2. I dont know abou tbreeds but i can say

you need at least 2 ducks, 1 duck can go into depression and die from being alone

we always get Campbells and we liked them, they were sweet and fairly calm, just a matter of catching them\

good lucks with your ducks [​IMG]

3. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Having watched how my trio are always close together and following one another around, I would say you need a minimum of two. Even though my ducks free range at the same time as my chickens, while they don't dislike one another, there isn't a "bond" between them.

I only have experience with Campbells, so I can't comment on those breeds.

Good luck in making your decision; having ducks is fun!

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    You should get at least 2. A small flock of 3 of 4 is better and more entertaining. They love the company of other ducks. I would get all females if you don't want ducklings. Some Drakes can be very aggressive with the ducks and even the chickens.

They will need a large container of water to bath and swim in, and you will need to change the water 2 times a day to keep it clean because they love to poop in it and also put their food in it to make a poop food soup![​IMG]

You choices are fine. They can be noisy. If you are concerned about the noise, then I recommend muscovy ducks. They are very quiet and they are very easy to tame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by