DUCK BREEDS

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Hello!
I have had chickens for a bit now and have been reading about and wanted duck even longer. I need them for pest control (slugs) and now I will need them for eggs too! So I think I have narrowed it down to the Indian Runner. I hear they lay tons of eggs and are amazing foragers. Does anyone think a different breed would be better? Also, does anyone have any general tips for raising ducks? What do they need in terms of a coop (I have a lot of raccoons and coyotes in the area)? Thank you!

Hello!
I have had chickens for a bit now and have been reading about and wanted duck even longer. I need them for pest control (slugs) and now I will need them for eggs too! So I think I have narrowed it down to the Indian Runner. I hear they lay tons of eggs and are amazing foragers. Does anyone think a different breed would be better? Also, does anyone have any general tips for raising ducks? What do they need in terms of a coop (I have a lot of raccoons and coyotes in the area)? Thank you!
Indian Runners and Muscovys are a good pest control

I absolutely love my runners! They are lightweight which I like, because I have heard from most that it will decrease their chances of weight related leg/foot problems later on. Mine are as cute as can be, lay consistently, definitely forage a lot, and look like little walking wine bottles :D I love my other ducks equally, but the runners are a great choice. Good luck!

Anconas are bread to be good foragers and lay about 300 eggs a year. They have matriarchal culture where the lead female is the forage leader and the flock follows her with the drakes trailing. This way the egg producing birds get the high protein slugs not the drakes!

I absolutely love my runners! They are lightweight which I like, because I have heard from most that it will decrease their chances of weight related leg/foot problems later on. Mine are as cute as can be, lay consistently, definitely forage a lot, and look like little walking wine bottles :D I love my other ducks equally, but the runners are a great choice. Good luck!
Thank you! This is just what I was hoping to hear!

Anconas are bread to be good foragers and lay about 300 eggs a year. They have matriarchal culture where the lead female is the forage leader and the flock follows her with the drakes trailing. This way the egg producing birds get the high protein slugs not the drakes!
That sounds great! I haven't heard of these before but will be sure to research them.

Back
Top Bottom