DUCK BROODER WORTHY?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BackyardAnita, Nov 19, 2012.

1. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    This Wednesday I am getting three ducklings. Am i able to use a bathtub as the duckling brooder? I would block the drain and such. Would it be better to put news paper and keep it clean that way or could i wash away all the poop instead by the faucet.

2. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    How old are the ducklings? Newspaper isn't ideal, shavings or straw/hay is better, which you aren't going to want in your bathtub. You don't want them on any slippery surfaces. Waterfowl do need water, but most people only have ducklings in water they can enter for short periods of time when they are a few weeks old. I will tell you, they are incredibly messy. [​IMG] I would use some sort of plastic or wooden tub or box filled with shavings and a heat source.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    news paper is too slippery and the tub will need something to hold bedding of some sort for them to be on as the tub is also too slippery. Old towels would work and you can pick them up and wash them between uses.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I used old towels, they work well.

Please please be sure you keep the brooder at a good temperature. Tubs can be cold. Don't want to cook the babies, either. I liked using a small thermometer (not the mercury kind) so I could be sure of the temperature.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree, i'd almost lean towards putting a large rubbermaid container in the tub.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think you would do better to get them a Rubbermaid tub. Bathtubs tend to be cold and slippery and you risk blocking your drain if any of the bedding or duck mess goes down the drain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by