DUCK BROODER WORTHY?

BackyardAnita

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
This Wednesday I am getting three ducklings. Am i able to use a bathtub as the duckling brooder? I would block the drain and such. Would it be better to put news paper and keep it clean that way or could i wash away all the poop instead by the faucet.

How old are the ducklings? Newspaper isn't ideal, shavings or straw/hay is better, which you aren't going to want in your bathtub. You don't want them on any slippery surfaces. Waterfowl do need water, but most people only have ducklings in water they can enter for short periods of time when they are a few weeks old. I will tell you, they are incredibly messy.
big_smile.png
I would use some sort of plastic or wooden tub or box filled with shavings and a heat source.

news paper is too slippery and the tub will need something to hold bedding of some sort for them to be on as the tub is also too slippery. Old towels would work and you can pick them up and wash them between uses.

I used old towels, they work well.

Please please be sure you keep the brooder at a good temperature. Tubs can be cold. Don't want to cook the babies, either. I liked using a small thermometer (not the mercury kind) so I could be sure of the temperature.

I used old towels, they work well.

Please please be sure you keep the brooder at a good temperature. Tubs can be cold. Don't want to cook the babies, either. I liked using a small thermometer (not the mercury kind) so I could be sure of the temperature.

I agree, i'd almost lean towards putting a large rubbermaid container in the tub.

I think you would do better to get them a Rubbermaid tub. Bathtubs tend to be cold and slippery and you risk blocking your drain if any of the bedding or duck mess goes down the drain.

Back
Top Bottom