Duck Brooder

fishinchicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
SWVA
I have 7 darling duckilings in a big water trough in the basement under a light. 3 of the 7 are about 2 weeks old while the other 4 are only a few days old. The problem is they are crazy messy. I need brooder advice...how long do they need to stay under the light? When can I move them out to the duck house? The evenings here are are getting as low as like 35-40s. Is that too cold?

You can always run an extra heat lamp out in the duck house.

We usually end up giving in around 5 or 6 weeks. The mess just cannot be controlled any longer.

Good luck.

I understand your pain! Duck brooder stink
sickbyc.gif

I turned off my duck lamp a few days ago, and they are almost 4 weeks old. I have them outside in the day time, and I bring them inside my room (In a blow up pool) at night. I know it sucks, and you just want to move them out as soon as possible, but your babies are kinda young. I saw wait about 3 or 4 weeks, but in the day time if it is above 65 degrees, then they can be out there until night.

hugs.gif
But seriously, I know it sucks, and I hate to say this, but its going to get worse. Mine have diarrhea, and it smells so bad, and I have to SLEEP in there!!!
sickbyc.gif
hit.gif

At just a few days old- they do still need heat - especially in those night time temperatures - mabe you can look at differnt ways to keep things cleaner. WHat bedding are you using in the trough- and what kind of container is their water kept in?

I've been using newspaper...not very absorbant! The smell isn't bad at all its just the wet mess all over the floor of the trough. I hate that they walk through it! I wondered if I could use the feeders and waterers that I use with chicks. It would cut down on the worst of the yuck. Its the food and water that are so messy. Do you mix the feed with water to make it soupy? or do you feed it dry with water available nearby. I've been mixing it with water and they fling it everywhere!

Newspaper on its own is not a very good bedding. Splay leg is more common on a slippery surface, so using shavings or straw in your brooder would help to stop that as well as to help absorb some of the excess fluid. Feed them the crumble dry and I bet it will cut down on the mess too. Dampening it for the first few days when they are very tiny can help them, but after that, eating it dry is better. The feed can go off, or turn moldy very quickly if it is so wet.

Back
Top Bottom