Duck can’t push through membrane?!

finlay990

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Hi everyone,

Duckling externally pipped around 2:00 yesterday, it’s now 10:30am. The membrane around the pip is brownish yellow and I can see the duckling pushing on it, the duckling is also at the wrong end of the egg. I’ve been rubbing coconut oil on it every few hours with a diy long cotton tip that fits through a hole in the incubator. Help what do I do? Or am I fretting too early?

Hi everyone,

Duckling externally pipped around 2:00 yesterday, it’s now 10:30am. The membrane around the pip is brownish yellow and I can see the duckling pushing on it, the duckling is also at the wrong end of the egg. I’ve been rubbing coconut oil on it every few hours with a diy long cotton tip that fits through a hole in the incubator. Help what do I do? Or am I fretting too early?
Not a duck person, but if it piped on the wrong end it will take longer before its ready to hatch, because it had to externally pip when normally it would internally pip. If its making chewing motions than its not ready yet.

Not a duck person, but if it piped on the wrong end it will take longer before its ready to hatch, because it had to externally pip when normally it would internally pip. If its making chewing motions than its not ready yet.
Thanks! That makes sense! I’m just worried it’s stuck or shrink wrapped because it’s still in the membrane and has been pushing on it for hours.

Hi thank you so much for your reply! I took the egg out and removed some shell and membrane and put the egg back in. Baby is absorbing yolk happily and showing no signs of distress. I’m rubbing coconut oil on the membrane routinely to keep the membrane moist. Al looking good so far

Back
Top Bottom