Duck can barely walk, any ideas?

You may want to worm again in 10 days because from all I've read Ivermectin is not doing the job now I am going to send ths to casportpony since she is [to me] expert on worming and can help you figure out what to use and what dose, because if she is extremely wormy worming can really hurt them also.

If she were my duck I would give her a though exam, which would include checking the inside of her vent for a stuck egg. I would also check her fett and legs very closely for any swelling, heat and verify that the range of motion (flexibility) in all legs joints was normal. If I couldn't find anything I'd put her in a dog crate with a high protein turkey or gamebird starter. She would also be put in a bathtub of shallow warm water once a day.

-Kathy

Thank you very much! This morning I remembered the 1 tbls to 1 gallon on the Duramycin 10. So what I did was put her in my "injury pen" a 10x10 pen so she would not be trying to follow the flock everywhere. Gave her 2 gallons of water with 2 tbls of Duramycin 10 and her own bowl of fermented flock raiser. I checked her over yesterday (everything except the vent) and nothing felt unusual or inflamed. However, like I said I did not check her vent, will do that this evening when I get home.

Yesterday I also put 1 ml of Ivermectin on the back of her neck. I also have Safeguard at home (pretty sure at least), would it be okay to give that to her also? I will weigh her when I get home also.

She was not looking good this morning, her eyes are now looking sick also.

Last edited:
Can you get an antibiotic like Baytril, Cipro, Augmentin or Clavamox? And are you sure she's eating enough?

-Kathy

Sorry I wasn't clear, you *can* give Safeguard even though you gave ivermectin. Many don't know this, but there use to be a wormer with both drugs called Trifen Plus. They don't make that anymore, but they do make one with two similar drugs, albendazole and a mectin drug that begins with an a. I'll look it up.

-Kathy

Perfect will send you her weight when I get home. I hope she is still hanging in there.
I hope so too.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom