Duck can't stand up?

BantammChick

I love my sebright!!
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Missouri
Hey, so this morning I go out to check on the animals and I notice one of my female rouen ducks is sitting down and can't stand up. She was locked the run last night so it wasn't a predator, and she was just fine last night. Any ideas what this could be?

Stress is a possibility or maybe she had a stroke during the night that left her paralyzed. Can you send a picture of her?
20230629_101758.jpg

Is that her duckling, she might be stressed from her ducklings and that could have many different factors, or she could have had a stroke during the brooding process because she over heated.

Is that her duckling, she might be stressed from her ducklings and that could have many different factors, or she could have had a stroke during the brooding process because she over heated.
She hatched the baby over a week ago, so idk if that could be it.
It is hot here, so could that cause a stroke?

If she’s been brooding a while and not eating properly that can contribute I’d get her some liquid BComplex it is fantastic for leg support. And it could even be a niacin deficiency and the liquid b complex will help with it. TSC carries one called Durvet liquid b complex give her 1 ml over a treat she really likes.

Last edited:
I hope that High level Vit B complex gets your girl back up and walking

I have a pekin drake that is off his feet. I think it started with acute Vit B3 deficiency, after I started a new sack of feed, as two of my other drakes started limping without any problems with their feet. Those two recovered within 6 days on brewer's yeast added to the feed and high level Vit B complex added to a few pellets each morning. But my pekin, who was far more severely affected, is still not walking. He can get up onto his fore-legs but only stands upright when he is in the bath with deep water. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his feet or the joints in his legs and he moves them normally in the bath. It's now into the second week of having Vit B complex twice a day, Rooster Booster Poultry Cell in his drinking water and brewer's yeast in his duck pellets.

So I am suggesting that you may need to give your girl high level Vit B complex -- 1 ml twice a day soaked into a treat or a few pellets -- for some time before she starts walking again. Please don't give up on her walking if she doesn't get better in a couple of days. Keep going with the treatment!

Also, I would add nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast to all your ducks' food while they are laying. Some ducks have extra nutritional need for niacin above what is in layer feed. Nutritional yeast contains a higher concentration of Vit B than brewer's yeast, but nutritional yeast is human food grade and expensive. I buy brewer's yeast produced for animals from Josh's Frogs directly on line or via Amazon. It's cheaper to buy from Amazon if you have free delivery with Prime.

Please keep us updated on her progress!

Duckie was able to get up and out of the coop today! She's still not doing great but at least she is getting around!

Back
Top Bottom