Duck can't walk suddenly, Help!

If you have some Calcium gluconate it might not be a bad idea to give her about 1ml. If she did have an egg stuck where you can't feel it this would help her to move it on out. I suggest anyone with layers should have some TSC carries it.
That's great she is doing better, I think to be on the safe side I'd try and keep her from having a lot of exercise if your ducks are in a large area. Just to give her a bit of time to get over whatever this may be. Usually if egg-bound and they can't pass it they succumb pretty quick, but if an injury from over-mating or jumping out of the pool etc. It will take time to recover. Hopefully, you'll see her going in the right direction now. More warm soaks can't hurt keep the muscles loose.
Thank you for all the help! I don't have any of that calcium stuff, but I do have some calcium pills that are 600mg. I'll get the calcium gluconate when my dad goes to TSC this week. I don't have any drakes, so not over mating. I kept my neighbor's ducks for a few days, maybe they hurt her, they were both females.

Yes warm water. She was using both of her legs and started standing up in the water more. She hopped out herself after 25 min. I put some cat food and dandelion leaves in the water for her to eat. She has started standing up more and has stood up for more than 15 min to preen herself, which is a huge improvement because she couldn't stand up before!
That is fantastic! How is she doing now?

Ducks’ legs aren’t particularly strong, so they can get sprains and breaks pretty easily, unfortunately. Fortunately, they’re champs with water-based physical therapy! My Cayuga drake had a bad sprain last fall that had him grounded for a week or two, but daily baths definitely helped. He’s back on his feet, but now has a distinctive “pimp walk” that sort of suits him as the top drake.

Ducks’ legs aren’t particularly strong, so they can get sprains and breaks pretty easily, unfortunately. Fortunately, they’re champs with water-based physical therapy! My Cayuga drake had a bad sprain last fall that had him grounded for a week or two, but daily baths definitely helped. He’s back on his feet, but now has a distinctive “pimp walk” that sort of suits him as the top drake.
Pimp walk 🤣 Glad your boy is doing better. My duck is all back to normal and is walking perfectly

Back
Top Bottom