Duck continues to lay soft shell eggs with extra calcium

Galaxyfalcon

Songster
May 25, 2020
Eastern WA
I've got a 3 year old girl who has recently been having some soft shell egg problems. I've been giving her 1mL of calcium gluconate over treats for about a week now, but the problem persists. She's getting layer pellets, scratch, has access to oyster shells, and gets vitamins and brewers yeast in their food.

The last two days, the eggs passed on their own with some labor on her part, and they're like little water balloons, with a soft, flexible shell.

Only history of health issues to note are some past bumble foot and some small ingested metal which has passed out of the digestive tract and sits near her cloacea -- vet recommended against chelation or surgery.

Should I up the dose on the calcium gluconate? Any other ideas?

She's a buff Orpington, weighs about 6 or so pounds. Eats well, loves peas.

IMG_20220804_153942_749.jpg

Quick update. Last night she laid another soft-shelled egg, although it was more firm than the others she had laid recently. Could it be a case of egg yolk peritonitis? She sleeps more than the other ducks during the day, although when she is awake she is an energetic bug chaser/insect hunter.

Are there any issues with continuing to give her calcium gluconate over treats? Been giving it to her over peas for about a week now. Seems to help at first although it hasn't helped completely.

I was looking for "sleepy duck" and landed on Peritonitis so I wanted to see if someone could talk a bit about what kinds of symptoms I should look for if that is the case. I'm just concerned that even with calcium gluconate supplements she's still lay softer shells.

Have you tried giving Vitamin D? I don't remember where, but it was probably here that I read about giving it also for soft shelled eggs. I got mine in liquid form for infants, but haven't had to use it.

Just an update on Herman. She's doing a bit better! I haven't seen soft shell eggs for 2-4 days now, and on two of the days I saw her actually lay firm normal eggs. I've been continuing with the calcium gluc as well as adding some nutri-drench to her water at night as an added bonus. She still seems a tad more sleep that the other ducks (was worried it might be egg yolk peredontis) but we'll keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom