Duck coop conversion... could this work?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I've been searching FB marketplace and Craigslist for weeks now looking for something to convert into a duck coop. I have 10 ducks, 3 of which are drakes who I separate in the summer. I've been looking for something 5x10 so they have wiggle room if they have to be in their coop for an extended period of time.
Their current coop is a wire wrapped (I'm guessing) 6x6 outdoor dog run. I HATE it. That along with their run which I'm trying to find time to build a cover for. You can only imagine trying to keep a wall-less coop clean though, its a nightmare.
With that aside, I finally found this little shed on FB, and though it might just work.
Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 12.14.16 PM.png

A little bit smaller than I was hoping for, but still larger than their current coop. How easy do you think it would be to add ventilation to this? Any concerns?

I think metal is harder to work with, extreme temperatures could be a factor, and ducks exude a lot of moisture and metal could rust. Do you have photos of your set up in another thread? Have you considered a hoop coop?

I think metal is harder to work with, extreme temperatures could be a factor, and ducks exude a lot of moisture and metal could rust. Do you have photos of your set up in another thread? Have you considered a hoop coop?
I did make a thread in the past about my setup, let me see if I can find a link.
I have considered a hoop coop, and love the idea. But of course, my dad is animate about the coop being made of steel so it does't rot, and lasts a while in our wet climate.
I made an article about my bantam tractor, and were planning to build something like that again for them, but 20x8 instead of 12x8. I wanted 10x20 but for some reason he also wants it to be the same width as the other.

It can get old here. Last year we had a spike down to 18 degrees, but for a duck thats not that cold. Doesn't usually get much colder down here then that.

This one? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/revamping-run-in-need-of-ideas.1475033/

I tried to find it, but you've got a lot of threads. 😉

I used panels initially for my run and we secured the panels with t posts. It worked well enough, but I couldn't get my husband to help me figure out how to secure the netting over my head. Yours looks pretty innovative. I like it!
I can't see your coop in those pics though.

As far as the shed, I think if you can cut metal and secure hardware cloth - I'd take that big triangle area and make it ventilation.
How big is the shed?

This one? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/revamping-run-in-need-of-ideas.1475033/

I tried to find it, but you've got a lot of threads. 😉

I used panels initially for my run and we secured the panels with t posts. It worked well enough, but I couldn't get my husband to help me figure out how to secure the netting over my head. Yours looks pretty innovative. I like it!
I can't see your coop in those pics though.

As far as the shed, I think if you can cut metal and secure hardware cloth - I'd take that big triangle area and make it ventilation.
How big is the shed?
Yep! Thats the one!

This is how ours have been for years. The photos are from Summer, and its somewhat dry. It gets crazy muddy and gross in the fall/winter though, so its pretty rough. Can't wait for that covered run, hoping to get it for Christmas. ;)

I can probably upload a photo of the coop tomorrow, its really hard to see in the background of those photos.

The shed is 4 x 10 I believe. Could definitely use a power wash haha! I think we've got the tools to cut the metal, turning the triangle into ventilation sounds like a good plan. That I can do.

Just a quick suggestion before I'm off to bed (and forget to post it tomorrow), can you collect leaves and add it to the run? You'd have to collect a lot. 😆 But, it can help with a muddy area.
We do have to giant (50-100 year old) maple trees in our yard. In the fall I collect a bunch of leaves and put them in the run, it works really great!
Its pretty wet right now for leaf collection now though.

Update: Got tarps up right before the cold hit, and the coop full of straw. Worked great! Everything stayed dry, and as long as I kept adding straw it stays clean. I can tell its a couple degree's warmer in behind the tarp, so I'm sure the ducks appreciated it. :D
Things are starting to warm up around here, so I'm happy to say that everyone successfully made it through the cold spike, with only a few scares.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom