Duck coop/run suggestions

HMR1014

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2021
This is our first year with ducks and I was pretty proud of our duck coop/run until I realized how hard pea gravel is to clean. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better flooring? I was contemplating putting fake grass over top or moving to some sort of pavers.

Also, any suggestions for a filter or pond pump? We tried making one using an idea we found on the forums here but it just didn't work.

I've attached a few pictures of the coop. The first two are of the initial layout and the last is when we added the built in pond. We're also in the process of building a different house so we can get rid of the playhouse.

Attachments

• 20230528_144527.jpg
    20230528_144527.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 20230528_165917.jpg
    20230528_165917.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20230723_180011.jpg
    20230723_180011.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 101
wow 🤩 i think it’s a really nice set up !
can’t you just hose off the pea gravel? duck poop seems to magically disappear when sprayed with a hose, lol

can’t you just hose off the pea gravel? duck poop seems to magically disappear when sprayed with a hose, lol
Thanks! And yes I do usually spray it down but I feel like it just doesn't clean as much as I'd like. Sometimes I have to shovel out the pea gravel in their favorite spots because they congregate there frequently. We're also in PA so now that the temps are dropping its getting harder to use the hose. I was thinking pavers may be easier to clean because they're a smoother surface but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with them first.

I have a cement floor coop. It's in a spot I don't want to hose down and shovel and sweep works well enough. Gunk does get stuck in the texture grooves which I imagine would be worse with pavers. Maybe free chipdrop wood chips on top of the pavers for cushion, absorption, and looks?

I have some pavers in the water area of my duck pen to help keep mud out of the water bowls until I find something better. They need to be hosed off daily. I don't really like them. Most of the pen is covered in wood stove pellets with shaved wood on top. As the pellets get wet they break down and the surface becomes cork-like, insulates from the cold ground and is easy on the ducks' feet. I just rake out the poops as best I can. In the dry area of the pen I put a deep pile of shaved wood and it's easy to pick out the poop wads, especially when they freeze. Material gets removed each time I clean the area, so every year I replace it. If we ever get a dry spell, I want to replace the pavers with stall mats that have holes in them like in the picture, so water will drain without the area becoming muddy, and keep mud out of the bowls. I put some of these mats under their kiddie pools out in the yard and it definitely reduced the mud load.

interlocking-holes2-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom