Duck coop/run- what would you do??

If you are considering getting ducks in a residential area i would highly recommend Muscovy. They are very quiet unlike the mallard derived breeds and are super friendly and fun.

To be fair to someone who is considering keeping ducks in a residential neighborhood, female ducks generally do quack and they can be quite loud. This is, of course, the opposite of most chickens, so it's worth pointing this out to someone who may be unfamiliar with keeping ducks. Are there exceptions? Sure. Our girls are quiet most of the day, but those summer mornings? When it gets light at 4am? I think our goal here is to give someone all the information to make an informed decision. I think it's much better to address it now than all the posts about someone needing to rehome.
Yeah i keep my ducks in a city of over a quarter million people. I'm just saying it can be done. I have sold my fair share of ducks because they were to noisy.

Very good questions.

Female ducks are shockingly loud. Mine shout quack all day. Even on 5 and 10 acre plots everyone around us can hear my ducks.
Same here! I have a couple that are extremely loud! We live in the country and all the surrounding neighbors can hear them. They even check in to see if everything is okay when they haven’t heard them, lol!

Back
Top Bottom