Duck coop too hot?

Jackanddianesmom

Songster
Dec 3, 2019
North jersey, USA
So i was just putting the ducks in for the night and realized it was still a little hot in the coop. The door was open all day so it wasn't collecting the hot air, and there is a small vent at the top about 6 inches (its triangle shaped) and another short but long in legnth vent at the bottom for air flow. I live in north jersey and it was about 90 today. When we built it we were coming out of winter so I was worried about drafts ( so it even has roofing on it) and wasn't thinking about how hot it could get in there even at night. I tried to wait until it cooled down even more but they had to go in for the night. We plan on putting another few ventilation areas, bc of this but will they be OK for the night? I feel like it won't cool down bc of the roofing and closed door. I can post pictures of it tomorrow

If you think it's too hot in there tonight you could put a bucket of water in there for them and they should be fine. I don't normally put food or water in my pen until it's extremely hot out. To me 90° isn't really that hot but your ducks probably aren't used to that.

I dont have a real picture ao I screen shotted this from a video i had, the back part is all covered for when it rains and it all has roofing on it. (This is an old picture)

Attachments

• 20200609_214922.jpg
    20200609_214922.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 32
After seeing the picture I think hardware cloth on the door will be the easiest thing to do. You really need lots more ventilation than what you've got now. Ducks expel so much moisture that in the wintertime if there is not adequate ventilation it will likely give them frostbite on their feet because the bedding will get very wet.

I have a big opening covered in hardware cloth and a piece a plywood the same size as the opening and I can slide it over the opening when it gets cold or open it when I need more ventilation. I am not home right now but I will get pictures later if this doesn’t make sense

I have a big opening covered in hardware cloth and a piece a plywood the same size as the opening and I can slide it over the opening when it gets cold or open it when I need more ventilation. I am not home right now but I will get pictures later if this doesn’t make sense
This sounds like a great idea! I think i will try and do this!

These are some updated pictures. I was planning on adding ventillation, but I was worried last night. I ended up checking on them around 1030 and it cooled down a lot in there. Hopefully I can get another vent area done today! (They are separated right now because of the mating situation, and we usually put the ducklings in there seperated as well so they can be introduced to the female soon) hopefully once we secure the yard a little more we can have them free range, since they have eaten any type of greens in there! any other suggestions on the coop welcome!

Attachments

• 20200610_091141.jpg
    20200610_091141.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200610_091126.jpg
    20200610_091126.jpg
    858.3 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom