Duck crate ideas?

sophieharkins

Chirping
Jul 8, 2017
When im staying at my apartment i put my pekin Piper in a dog crate at night to sleep. I was wondering what the best ways to make a dog crate comfortable for the duck and easily cleaned as possible.

I have tried a few things for easy clean up with my ducks. I have two Pekin in the mix.

1. Shavings. The BEST. Stinky stuff clumps up, put in a bag, dispose of. (In my case, compost it in a closed/sealed compost bin.)

2. Rubber backed mats/rugs. Second best. Easy to fold over, take outside, and hose down. Drip dry in the sun. Great for back up if I am out of shavings.

3. Astro turf/fake grass rugs. No way! These things unravel. And ducks being ducks, like to nibble, chew, and basically put anything and everything in their mouths. My khaki had a got the string in his mouth and many feet later, I got it out of his body. Scary for all involved! ** These work with chickens. Much lighter to carry and easy to clean up. Chickens don't seem to swallow the string. I plan to repurpose what I have an put it in the barn. I use sand in the coop.

4. Towels. I have also used towels. Work in a pinch. Takes two washings to get them "clean" again. (I am on septic, so I can't use harsh chemicals/bleach to get them super clean the first time.)

The large dog crate I have has a top that come off for easy clean. (Used for transporting animals, as needed, or for emergency housing for animals.)

I have tried a few things for easy clean up with my ducks. I have two Pekin in the mix.

1. Shavings. The BEST. Stinky stuff clumps up, put in a bag, dispose of. (In my case, compost it in a closed/sealed compost bin.)

2. Rubber backed mats/rugs. Second best. Easy to fold over, take outside, and hose down. Drip dry in the sun. Great for back up if I am out of shavings.

3. Astro turf/fake grass rugs. No way! These things unravel. And ducks being ducks, like to nibble, chew, and basically put anything and everything in their mouths. My khaki had a got the string in his mouth and many feet later, I got it out of his body. Scary for all involved! ** These work with chickens. Much lighter to carry and easy to clean up. Chickens don't seem to swallow the string. I plan to repurpose what I have an put it in the barn. I use sand in the coop.

4. Towels. I have also used towels. Work in a pinch. Takes two washings to get them "clean" again. (I am on septic, so I can't use harsh chemicals/bleach to get them super clean the first time.)

The large dog crate I have has a top that come off for easy clean. (Used for transporting animals, as needed, or for emergency housing for animals.)

Thank you. Is using shredded paper okay as substrate? She loves to dig around in it and I'm scared she is eating some of it.

Back
Top Bottom