Duck dead out of nowhere, how did she die?

Not sure if this is what happened but we came up with something.
We think a raccoon (or some other animal) might've grabbed her through the fence and broke her neck, I did say her feathers on her neck were messed up.

I have a question about Buzzard, her mate. When I took him out of the dog kennel, instead of attacking me like usual, he walked out and walked over to Newt's nesting box and looked inside of her. He also keeps calling for her. I feel really bad.
I know ducks grief but I also know they don't mate for life. Buzzard attacked everything and anything in sight besides Newt, I'm not sure if he'll ever straighten out.
Newt and Buzzard were inseparable, anytime one was missing, the other would freak out. When Buzzard was in the kennel, she'd spend all her time in front of it talking to him. She wouldn't swim if she got too hot, she wouldn't really move from that spot at all.
Will Buzzard ever be able to get over her being gone? And will he ever straighten out and be able to have another mate? I'm looking to rehome him but if he decides to straighten out, I'd like to keep him.

It could have been a raccoon. They usually grab and try to pull one through the fence which you can imagine what that would look like. As for Buzzard he'll mourn for her as your seeing but if you have any other females he will finally get back to mating again. He may calm down as he gets older, they just have such a high testosterone during spring and most of summer It can be quite frustrating. It's not their fault it is the way they are made. Keeping him in drake jail while he is the worst is what most do to protect their females. All you can do is see how he is next spring and how many females he may need to keep him busy. Most drake need at least 4 females to keep from over using one.

Back
Top Bottom