Duck dead out of nowhere, how did she die?

That's so sad. But to have blood on her bill either she injured herself some how or she had something internal going on that caused blood.
I have black snakes here some get to 6' we had one get a pullet no way he could have eaten her but he suffocated her to death trying but they are constrictors so most likely he
squeezed the life out of her first. Could that be a possibility?

That's so sad. But to have blood on her bill either she injured herself some how or she had something internal going on that caused blood.
I have black snakes here some get to 6' we had one get a pullet no way he could have eaten her but he suffocated her to death trying but they are constrictors so most likely he
squeezed the life out of her first. Could that be a possibility?
It could be a possibility but I noticed snakes roll the body around when they are trying to swallow it (at least thats what I saw when a black snake killed my ducklings) and Newt was laying on her stomach and her body was perfectly straight.

But you said the neck wasn't wet. When the snake killed my pullet her neck and head were wet. So it may have squeezed her and possibley got scared off? I don't know just guessing.
I did forget to mention that the snake that killed one of my ducklings was wrapped around it, trying to swallow it and we tried to drive it away (it was in the dog kennel) we had kicked the kennel, poked it with a stick, and it still wouldn't leave.
So now I'm not so sure.. it really is a mystery.

I read up on signs that your duck might die soon (from this website: https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/what-causes-sudden-death-in-ducks/)

The signs are:
Lethargic
Overly tired
Disoriented, confused
Stressed
Shivering
Panting / abdominal heaving
Collapsed vent
Collapsed penis
Excessive coughing or sneezing
Weezing or labored breathing
Sleeping on the ground instead of a perch
Holding their wings out
Drooping wings
Sitting or standing with eyes shut (more than usual)
Laying on side
Seizures
Pale comb, waddles, eyes (if your duck has them)
Watering eyes
Diarrhea or bloody stool
Unnatural behavior
Hiding
Lameness
Feet that are swollen, hot, or with an abscess
Nasal discharge with thick viscous mucus or colored mucus
Loss of appetite
Not drinking water
Not utilizing swimming area

I noticed Newt had a few of these symptoms. I didn't see her eat much but she did scavenge and eat some dandelions. She did seem stressed not having her mate be there to protect her (since he was in drake jail). She was panting a lot and constantly standing still and closing her eyes while panting.
She wouldn't swim in her pool either, anytime I put her in there, she'd jump right out.
She didn't move around a lot either (unless the ducklings or I got too close, she'd run) she usually stayed right next to the dog kennel where her mate was at and they'd talk all day.

I'm not sure if I added this in the first post but when I saw her dead body, not only did I notice the blood on her mouth, she had water/bubbles coming out of her nostrils.

I read up on signs that your duck might die soon (from this website: https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/what-causes-sudden-death-in-ducks/)

The signs are:
Lethargic
Overly tired
Disoriented, confused
Stressed
Shivering
Panting / abdominal heaving
Collapsed vent
Collapsed penis
Excessive coughing or sneezing
Weezing or labored breathing
Sleeping on the ground instead of a perch
Holding their wings out
Drooping wings
Sitting or standing with eyes shut (more than usual)
Laying on side
Seizures
Pale comb, waddles, eyes (if your duck has them)
Watering eyes
Diarrhea or bloody stool
Unnatural behavior
Hiding
Lameness
Feet that are swollen, hot, or with an abscess
Nasal discharge with thick viscous mucus or colored mucus
Loss of appetite
Not drinking water
Not utilizing swimming area

I noticed Newt had a few of these symptoms. I didn't see her eat much but she did scavenge and eat some dandelions. She did seem stressed not having her mate be there to protect her (since he was in drake jail). She was panting a lot and constantly standing still and closing her eyes while panting.
She wouldn't swim in her pool either, anytime I put her in there, she'd jump right out.
She didn't move around a lot either (unless the ducklings or I got too close, she'd run) she usually stayed right next to the dog kennel where her mate was at and they'd talk all day.

I'm not sure if I added this in the first post but when I saw her dead body, not only did I notice the blood on her mouth, she had water/bubbles coming out of her nostrils.
I have lost three females in the last 7 years. One, looking back, was probably eggbound. The other two, I never knew. They are so good at hiding that things aren’t quite right. They did isolate themselves from the group but by then it was too late. I doubt you will ever know what happened but you did what you could.

Back
Top Bottom