Duck Diagnosis

Meadowview

Hatching
Jul 2, 2022
I have a Welsh Harlequin duckling that is not doing well. She(?) acts like she feels ok but she is not growing and she has an area around her eyes that is missing down and just looks unhealthy. (See photos)

I tried frequent assisted head dunkings but it did not help.

All the other 40 ducks in the flock are doing well.

At this point she and 1 companion near her size (but growing quickly) is isolated from the rest of the flock.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! ECE3B575-4895-41BC-BF80-B91A00B08C0C.jpeg 843A4101-56D8-49A4-B53A-3D5A1AC652FA.jpeg

Attachments

• 0F265100-24ED-4F9C-A683-A8FEF9700CEF.jpeg
    0F265100-24ED-4F9C-A683-A8FEF9700CEF.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 2
I would gently rinse her eyes with a saline rinse for eyes and use Terraqmycin ointment on them.
Do they get any niacin? ducklings need niacin to have strong legs. One Out of many can have a niacin deficiency Since she is having problems I'd get the liquid B complex TSC has one called Durvet liquid b complex. It will say injectable but we use it orally over a small tasty treat to make sure they are getting full dose. This will give you dose according to age.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
I've never used this product but Poultry cell is another one that is supposed to boost one that is having issues. it's a plus she is eating and acting good.
:welcome

I would gently rinse her eyes with a saline rinse for eyes and use Terraqmycin ointment on them.
Do they get any niacin? ducklings need niacin to have strong legs. One Out of many can have a niacin deficiency Since she is having problems I'd get the liquid B complex TSC has one called Durvet liquid b complex. It will say injectable but we use it orally over a small tasty treat to make sure they are getting full dose. This will give you dose according to age.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
I've never used this product but Poultry cell is another one that is supposed to boost one that is having issues. it's a plus she is eating and acting good.
:welcome
I do not supplement with niacin under the assumption they are getting enough from their feed (in her case Scratch & Peck Organic Starter)

Thanks for your suggestions!

I do not supplement with niacin under the assumption they are getting enough from their feed (in her case Scratch & Peck Organic Starter)

Thanks for your suggestions!
Scratch and Peck starter does not have enough niacin. I don't remember the exact number, but when I contacted them before about their niacin content it was well below the standard recommended amount.

Edit: Scratch and Peck is only 27mg per pound of feed and the recommended mg per pound of feed for ducklings is 55mg.

Scratch and Peck starter does not have enough niacin. I don't remember the exact number, but when I contacted them before about their niacin content it was well below the standard recommended amount.
I think I researched it when I selected the feed but it has been so long I forget the specifics. I’ll take a look at it again.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom