Duck died after Pen-G injection

bamachick86

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2016
GA
I'm a bit devastated at the moment. Just watched my golden hybrid 300 (Meryl) die in my husband's arms after I finished her penicillin injection. She's been on it for about 5 days after a predator (we think a hawk) tore up her leg. She'd been doing fine, hanging out in a pen in the garage, eating a little and drinking. The vet told me breast or thigh muscle for the injections, so I did. And within seconds of administering it this evening she started acting like she was having a seizure--flailing around, neck craning, and then she was gone. I'm going through all the possibilities--did I puncture her heart, accidentally go too deep and inject it in her lung? I feel so terrible and wish I'd just put some stupid neosporin on her wound and called it a day. She would've been fine but I was doing what I thought was best. Could it have been a heart attack? Has anyone else seen that happen before?

Did you pull the syringe back a little, before pushing the fluid in? (Ie to check you weren't in a vein etc? ) And if so, did you see anything come into the syringe?

Did your vet go through the injection procedure to your satisfaction with you before sending you home with IM meds?

Sorry this happened to you, try and remember that it was a simple accident, not your fault, you were doing your best for her, somethings, sh-tty things just happen.
Meryl isnt suffering, she's in heaven now, swimming and flying (I believe in heaven, domestic ducks can fly like wild mallards) and living a wonderful life in duck paradise...

Last edited:
yup, happened to me once with a chicken. Not sure what happened but I did wonder if I might of injected into a vein. I didnt draw the needle back to check for blood.

Back
Top Bottom