Duck died after Pen-G injection

Did you verify you were not in a vein? An air embolism is my first thought

I'm afraid that's what most likely happened. I didn't feel 100% comfortable doing the injections after leaving the vet, but I'd done it with my chickens before and never had an issue. This is the ONE time I didn't take the split second to draw the needle back to make sure I didn't hit a vein--I got cocky, I thought I could do it with my eyes closed after having done four whole injections. I did pause for a moment because I thought I actually heard air, but it didn't dawn on me that that was probably related until hours later. I just keep kicking myself that she had to die so I could learn such an important lesson :(

Thank you for the input, that pretty much confirms my fear of what happened. And thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Did you pull the syringe back a little, before pushing the fluid in? (Ie to check you weren't in a vein etc? ) And if so, did you see anything come into the syringe?

Did your vet go through the injection procedure to your satisfaction with you before sending you home with IM meds?

Sorry this happened to you, try and remember that it was a simple accident, not your fault, you were doing your best for her, somethings, sh-tty things just happen.
Meryl isnt suffering, she's in heaven now, swimming and flying (I believe in heaven, domestic ducks can fly like wild mallards) and living a wonderful life in duck paradise...

Thank you for the kind words. After reading your comment and others' I'm pretty sure that was the problem. This was the one injection where I didn't take the split second it takes to pull the syringe back to make sure it's in the right spot. I feel terrible, she was such a sweet duck, but it's a valuable lesson I won't forget anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom