Duck Died

peepinglaura

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
My daughter's Muscovey duck, a sweet 10 month old, just died. We are wondering if anyone might have an idea why. She lives with her brother and sister from same hatch, as well as 14 chickens. All others are healthy. She did not have a stuck egg, she didn't have loose stool-in fact, I believe the opposite happened and she stopped pooping altogether that day. She just laid quietly all day and died that night.

I'm thinking maybe she ae something that wasn't food, and got a blockage, though she did eat and drink a bit near the end.

The worst, worst thought in my mind is that I left the barn door open for about an hour, and my husband had rat poison down- worse yet, bright green poison (I know chicks are attracted to green, so ducks might be as well?). My husband said it is such a large block the duck could not have nibbled some off- it's designed to be gnawed off. Nonetheless, I am not ready to rule that out. She died about 2 or 3 days after potential exposure to the barn.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Laura

So sorry to hear of your loss.
hit.gif
We had a blue standard cochin die two months back for no apparent reason. Tell your daughter we are sorry she lost her duck.
hugs.gif

4-H Chicken Mom, I told my daughter and she was pleased someone thought to share their sympathies with her. There were a lot of tears.

I just read a lot on rat poison symptoms, and it doesn't seem to fit at all. That's both good and bad. While I escape the load of guilt, there still must be a cause and I can't figure it out!

Laura

Back
Top Bottom