Duck doing a weird panting thing

Alij603

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2016
Hi everyone, so I have looked and looked but can not seem to find any information on my problem. So to start I am a first time owner of two beautiful pekins that I'm trying to care for as best I can while learning. They are six weeks old, one kind of sounds like it's beginning to quack the other one is mostly quiet with some peeping. No matter the temperature the quacker (sorry I haven't named them, their bills are differently colored so it's easy to tell who is who) seems to be panting or chattering without making a sound. They have multiple clean water sources to clean their nares and ive also checked to see if they were blocked which they weren't. I have kept them at recommended temperatures with ample room to move to a cooler spot if need be. They have received lots of attention from the day i bought them with plenty of interaction with the whole family. So I dont know if something is wrong with it or if it's normal behavior. I am posting this from my phone so later I will try to post the video I took of the behavio. Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Hi I'm a first timer too, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply soon. We got our two ducks at 5 days old and noticed one of them was panting & her breathing seemed laboured, the vet gave us antibiotics for a respiratory infection. Only one of them had it but he gave us antibiotics for both ducklings just in case. He also wormed them both as apparently worms can cause respiratory infections. We're really hoping the antibiotics work. I was surprised how cheap it was too!

Maybe you could get a vet to check quacker over?

If it's not plugged up nares, and the duck is otherwise healthy, one thing to consider is anxiety.

Ducks pant when they are nervous.

@Alij603

Last edited:
Its crossed my mind and I'll have to make ir priority to see how I can work with that duck. I do interact with both of them several times a day and can only hope that the quacker will come around eventually.

I am super new as well.... but i think i agree about the nervous idea. when i first put quackers outside he panted a little.... havent seen it again .... i thought he was hot ... you know like a dog ... haha .... he doesnt seem to do it any more

I hate to say I hope its nervousness but I guess thats better than physical sickness. Im a ridiculous worrier, always assuming the worst.

We have 3 ducklings and 2 of them are constantly panting. Started out just 1 doing and now 2. Should I medicate them for something? I have them some Vetrx but didnt seems to help.

Could you tell us how old they are, what the brooder temperature is, what kind of bedding you use, what they eat, if there are children or other pets in the home, anything else about them?

Back
Top Bottom