Duck dry scabbed legs

ali04

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
My 5 year old duck has been getting big scabs on his legs that turn black. Also his legs always looks really dry. I clean his legs every night and he gets unlimited water and gets to swim. I am not really sure how to help him. Any ideas on how to prevent or help heal his legs is appreciated.

Could be scaly leg mites. I noticed the same thing on my drake and have been giving him mite spray as well as putting coconut oil on after to smother the mites so they can’t breathe and it’s been working so far. Will update if anything changes. When you do spray make sure the legs are dripping wet. I read there are other remedies online but the spray I got has aloe to help with the healing as well and is non toxic.

Scaly leg mites are not as common in ducks apparently according to my research. However he does have a chicken house mate and that’s where I suspect it originated the chicken was a rescue and poorly cared for by the previous owner. She’s also a cannibal and has other behavior problems ( it’s a whole different story to get into that LOL, she even tried to cannibalize the rooster) Now everyone had to be treated for the mites. I have also seen some people use a spray oil but during my research I saw that birds lungs are very sensitive so it’s not good to use. Here is the link to the spray I’m using https://www.chewy.com/mango-pet-dyna-mite-mite-lice-bird/dp/299402
I noticed a change with only a few doses.

* note my drake didn’t have large scabs but I did notice dryness and black square like scabs forming.

Attachments

• D4A86FF8-F62C-47DE-AD5A-17EB59839419.jpeg
    D4A86FF8-F62C-47DE-AD5A-17EB59839419.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom