duck eating dog fur balls...

outsageous

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2019
Panama City Beach, Florida
So I have a dog inside who constantly sheds & hairballs end up in the floor a lot. My little duck is also inside, & roams around the house. I vacuum the house religiously but there are still almost always hairballs in the floor. Just a minute ago, the duck picked one up off of the ground before I could get to him. When I ran over to pull it out of his mouth, it was gone... Will eating dog fur hurt him? I feel like it would stop him up & I really hope it doesn’t hurt him too bad. Is there anything I can do to help him?

I giggled when I saw your post title because I've been dealing with this issue for a couple months. My duck eats dog/cat fur bunnies whenever he gets his bill on one. Since I've also noticed him eating smaller feathers that he pulls out while preening, I don't worry about the occasional fur bit. He's growing well and poops a LOT so it doesn't seem to be bothering him. If he wasn't pooping I'd probably worry about the fur causing a blockage. I'm sure it's not "ideal" for them to eat fur but honestly if they lived outside they'd probably eat plenty of other stuff we wouldn't approve of. Kind of like how the dogs end up eating things we don't want them to eat...like duck poo. (And let's pretend that doesn't happen! But don't accept kisses from dogs!!)

I giggled when I saw your post title because I've been dealing with this issue for a couple months. My duck eats dog/cat fur bunnies whenever he gets his bill on one. Since I've also noticed him eating smaller feathers that he pulls out while preening, I don't worry about the occasional fur bit. He's growing well and poops a LOT so it doesn't seem to be bothering him. If he wasn't pooping I'd probably worry about the fur causing a blockage. I'm sure it's not "ideal" for them to eat fur but honestly if they lived outside they'd probably eat plenty of other stuff we wouldn't approve of. Kind of like how the dogs end up eating things we don't want them to eat...like duck poo. (And let's pretend that doesn't happen! But don't accept kisses from dogs!!)

It’s a real issue! At least it’s not just me, haha. Thanks for easing my mind, I was worried. Good thing is that he is DEFINITELY pooping, a lot at that! I guess it is true that they eat all kinds of things outside. But the little duck seems alright. I just had to make sure there wouldn’t be any issues. Couldn’t stand it if something happened to him. :love Thanks again! :D

I’m battling this issue as well. I have a Great Pyrenees that is in deep shed preparing for his winter coat so my yard is filled with tufts of hair.

My ducks free range in the day and have nibbled at the tufts time to time so I’m sure they have swallowed some. All are acting normal and pooping like usual.

I'm also glad to hear this isn't an "us only" issue. I think ducks tend to nibble everything though so I'm not surprised that they nibble fur. Mine has been nibbling at Crocs and flip flops lately too. Not sure why since there's no loose bits for him to nibble off. A while back I decided I need to pick my battles when it comes to trying to get something out of his mouth before he eats it. If you rush over to get whatever they're eating you're just playing the "chase me because I have an awesome treat" game. It seems like once they decide that's a fun game to play they tend to search for "treats" that will lead to the run and chase game. At least it sure feels like they're doing it on purpose!

I’m battling this issue as well. I have a Great Pyrenees that is in deep shed preparing for his winter coat so my yard is filled with tufts of hair.

My ducks free range in the day and have nibbled at the tufts time to time so I’m sure they have swallowed some. All are acting normal and pooping like usual.

I have a Mudi. They’re bred from Puli, Pumi, & German Spitz, so they have a lot of fluff, but it also can get matted up into like a dreadlock. He’s just a really weird dog, haha. No matter how much I brush him, there’s always more fur. Again, I’m definitely relieved to hear that others go through this & their ducks are fine. Thanks for the reply!

I'm also glad to hear this isn't an "us only" issue. I think ducks tend to nibble everything though so I'm not surprised that they nibble fur. Mine has been nibbling at Crocs and flip flops lately too. Not sure why since there's no loose bits for him to nibble off. A while back I decided I need to pick my battles when it comes to trying to get something out of his mouth before he eats it. If you rush over to get whatever they're eating you're just playing the "chase me because I have an awesome treat" game. It seems like once they decide that's a fun game to play they tend to search for "treats" that will lead to the run and chase game. At least it sure feels like they're doing it on purpose!

Exactly! I’m convinced that my duck likes to pick on me quite a bit, because he KNOWS I don’t want him getting into things in the floor, but he still does. & it seems like it’s a game, like you said. :gig

He also likes to get into the dog bowls, when his food & water is right there. :barnie & I swear, it sounds like he laughs at me every time I chase after him or shoo him away.

Pretty normal I think. I had a duck this spring that would just reach over and pull evidently delicious feathers from the then gun shy chickens. Unless it's backing him up, no worries. Maybe some time on some fresh grass, or some greens in his water dish might quench his nibbling/rooting habit?

Exactly! I’m convinced that my duck likes to pick on me quite a bit, because he KNOWS I don’t want him getting into things in the floor, but he still does. & it seems like it’s a game, like you said. :gig

He also likes to get into the dog bowls, when his food & water is right there. :barnie & I swear, it sounds like he laughs at me every time I chase after him or shoo him away.

He sounds very much like my Bill Bill! If I'm not giving him what he wants or he's not getting attention, he'll stomp off to the dog's water dish and have himself a temper tantrum. Splashes all around in the dish, flings water all over the livingroom, pausing only to look around like he's checking to make sure we see him. He's usually very talkative while having his tantrum too.

Back
Top Bottom