Duck egg day 28/29 Air sac bigger

Saaan13

Songster
Jul 6, 2022
Hi I checked my duck egg today and the air sac had gotten bigger since the last time I checked a few days ago , what does this mean ???

Hi I checked my duck egg today and the air sac had gotten bigger since the last time I checked a few days ago , what does this mean ???
Its probably the draw down for hatch which is normal. Whay breed of duck is it? are you using a calibrated thermometer?

Its probably the draw down for hatch which is normal. Whay breed of duck is it? are you using a calibrated thermometer?
I’m not sure what breed there are 6 different ones the person I got them from said and I’m using a digital thermometer with a probe , i used it on my chick which hatched ok so I think it’s calibrated.

Glad to know it’s the draw down , well I hope it is :)

Still no pip yet ? Do I need to wait any longer or should I consider a safety hole ?
Is baby internal pipped ? If so how long ?
General rule is 24 hours after internal you can make a small safety hole
I have made mine the size of a pin hole and just above where I see the beak when I candle. Most times they still external pip and zip on their own
Others after another 24 hours I will start to open it up and see how they are
This last batch I had one never internal or even try to external in other areas. It’s head was tucked into its tummy and baby was stuck
Others I have had bruise the wrong end but not be able to external pip and need safety hole then after 24 make a bit bigger and over the next 24 -36 hours slowly start to assist
If your heat was off just a little they could hatch late
Do you still see movement when candling ? As long as no external pip you can keep checking them
Also I thought one had not pipped and when I picked up the egg baby had pipped under and missed the air cell. I turned egg so his hole was up and he hatched just fine

Back
Top Bottom