Duck egg failure

cbock

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
So I candled my Pekin and runner duck eggs today on day 7 and none of them were alive. I had a couple of early quitters and the rest were clear. I cracked a couple open and there were a couple spots of yolk that were opaque and almost looked cooked. I have a hovabator, the temp has remained constant at 99.5 degrees, is my egg turner putting the eggs too close to the heating elements?

I'm sorry to hear about your eggs. I used a friend's (paddock36) homemade cooler incubator at 95-99 degrees and 90-99% humidity with an internal fan. I hatched Indian Runner / Pekin mixes and pure Pekin eggs. I had 5 out of 8 eggs succeed with minimal handling and rotating. I'm not sure about your incubator but it sound's like it got too hot or had a hot spot. Does it have an internal fan or is it a still air?

Did you use more than one thermometer? Also, where were you measuring in the bator? If it is a still air incubator than the temp will measure very differently at the height of the egg rather than the floor where the egg sits....

Back
Top Bottom